It's not cruel!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Please if anyone has sub standard baby lizards, more so blue tongues than geckos or such stuff. I will buy them at a cheap price to feed to my green tree snake. C'mon it happens in nature. So if you can't bring yourself to kulling, then sell to me for food for a really pretty snake. (just trying to look after her for ya mate.)PLEASE PM me if you are in Sydney with a few not so good looking lizards, for the better of a nice snake who is hungry. :wink:

Yes mate I have to no avail. I left them there for a week and she showed interest but didn't follow through. I have also lost a male 2 days after force feeding him 2 goldfish. I am willing to buy captive bred frogs too!! :oops:

surely you can catch some skinks in your yard in the meantime

I was thinking of starting a colony of house geckoes for this purpose. I was wondering if anyone knew the laws in relation to this - would I need licensed house geckoes? It would be like a license to keep mozzies or flies they are that common. I know people who spray them with Mortein etc to get rid of them so I thought catching and keeping 5-6 wouldnt be that big a drama but does anyone know for sure?

Where are you??? Cause I think I read that in QLD you are only allowed to feed certain species as prey items and from memory Blue tongues werent on the list!!!! :)

As far as the geckos go, Asian House geckos are an introduced species so best to get in contact with your NPWS and check... but I think I would be like feeding cane toads or indian miners (even though I love geckos!!!) :(

It is highly illegal,
I now someone who got find $4000 last year just for not having his book up to date.

It would be the equivalent of breeding snakes for food.

Thanks junglesrus, It might not be a good idea! garden skinks would be the same, I guess everything would be inclusive otherwise where would they draw the line.
gee $4k seems excessive for a paperwork misdemeanour. Was he a naughty boy? (ie 100th offense - lots of animals not accounted for etc) or is that a normal penalty in nsw.

No he is a nice bloke but had the tranfers written on paper around the house but not updated his book,
He had sold allot through the herp clubs just not updated his record books.

would I need licensed house geckoes?
In nsw yes, H.frenatus are on the NPWS RK list and are classed as native. Something to do with introduction before white settlement, the same applies for the dingo.
Craig

Mabe I'll try her on a dingo!!! But seriously garden skinks don't offer much sustanence for a 4 foot snake. I don't want to do anything illegal,but I also don't want my snake to starve!!!So is it illegal to feed them lizards that you have had to kull and what about frogs. Captive bred they shouldn't be full of worms,could I breed say Green Tree Frogs to feed her.Garden skinks kinda run out around my house as I have fed them all to the Green Tree Snake.

NPWS; Note highlighted.

"As you would know, all reptiles are protected in NSW and consequently it is an offence to take any reptile from the wild for any purpose unless licensed to do so for scientific, education or conservation purposes. A licence would not be issued to authorise collection of common garden skinks, or frogs etc to be used for food for other captive reptiles, or to establish a captive colony that would be used for that purpose.

If you can legally acquire captive- bred native animals to establish a breeding colony there would be no offence under the National Parks and Wildlife Act if their progeny were subsequently used as food for other captive animals. "

I don't know if it is available where you live but pet shops down here in SA often have tanks full of tadpoles for sale . You could keep the taddies in a container in the GTS enclosure, feed them up and let them turn into frogs.

Possibly not a good species to keep for this very reason..
Not at all. I have one and she will eat a goldfish every week no problem.
The problem is that the are a lot of wild caught gts passed off as captive bred. I don't where Adam or his mate got the gts but it is 4ft long, it must of eaten something to get that big so why is it not eating now?
Like I said, I don't know Adam but everything he has said about this gts so far would suggest to me that it is a wild caught snake.

frogs have tapeworms thats y alot of gts have alot of skin and tapeworms upon capture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back