James Van Praagh Offered $1 Million To Prove Mental Powers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Australis

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
www.aol.com said:
Self-proclaimed psychic James Van Praagh has certainly done well for himself through doing readings, writing books about the psychic world and helping to create the CBS drama "The Ghost Whisperer."

Still, even with all his success, you'd think he wouldn't pass up a chance to earn a quick million bucks, right?

If you predicted yes, your answer would be wrong -- at least up to now.

That's because the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) has issued a challenge to Van Praagh and other people who claim to have psychic ability: It will pay $1 million for anyone who can produce evidence of paranormal abilities under controlled conditions.

It's not a new deal by any means: The Foundation has made this offer since it was founded in 1996 "to expose charlatans and help people defend themselves from paranormal and pseudoscientific claims."

So far, no one has been able to collect on the money, not even a well known psychic like Van Praagh, whom the organization is singling out in order to capitalize on his particularly devastating appearance on a recent episode of "ABC’s Primetime Nightline: Beyond Belief," a one-hour special that explored whether such a thing as psychic ability exist.

During the episode, Van Praagh performed a reading on "Good Morning America" anchor Josh Elliott.

Although Elliott initially appeared surprised by Van Praagh’s accuracy, he revealed that “every talking point of the reading” seemed to have been lifted from a two-year-old interview with Elliott that was available online.

"I'd known there was plenty of information regarding my past readily available with a cursory Internet search, including an extensive interview that included all the talking points [such as] my dead relatives and my adoption," Elliot said during the show. "Except, I thought, for [my mom's boyfriend] Leo."

Elliott rechecked that interview when he got home from interviewing Van Praagh and discovered that interview had a reference to Leo's passing, "able to be exploited along with the rest."

During the show, Van Praagh denied using Google, but declined to do a reading on Elliot's segment producer, claiming he had become too tired.

In a later part of the show, Allison DuBois, who appeared on Bravo's "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and is also billed as the inspiration for the CBS drama "Medium," performed a similar reading on ABC News correspondent David Wright as did self-proclaimed medium Rebecca Rosen.

Both readings focused on Wright’s family and his late mother. Wright was surprised by their accuracy and said they revealed “details that don’t pop up on Google.”

Yet, shortly after the show aired, a Twitter user posted a link to a wedding announcement from The New York Times that contained the relevant details about the Wright family.

JREF founder James Randi makes no claims of intuitive ability, but his gut tells him that both Van Praagh and DuBois "should be embarrassed by the transparent performances they revealed to the world on last night’s show.”

Randi would like those two -- and other psychics -- to put their alleged powers to the test under scientific conditions and not rely on "cold reading," a technique that uses questions to get key points to focus on, for example, through prompts like, "I see a woman with an 'M' in her name...?"

Although cold reading in itself isn't bad -- as long as it is labeled as such or presented as a party trick -- Randi is disgusted by how Van Praagh and DuBois use it to "prey on families’ deepest fears and regrets,” he said.

To be fair to Van Praagh, there are some academics who claim his powers hold up under scientific scrutiny such as Dr. Gary Schwartz, a former Yale professor now at the University of Arizona.

"I've been very impressed," Schwartz said on the "Primetime Nightline" episode. "He is real and accurate and, on the average, among the best of the mediums I've seen."

Randi may be skeptical about psychic powers in general, but he figures the easiest way to prove him wrong is for real psychics to take up the challenge.

"If anyone does have psychic powers, and can prove it [the money is there]," he said. "I am surprised people aren't hammering down my door."

HuffPost Weird News reached out to Van Praagh for a comment about his performance on the ABC show and any plans to take Randi up on the $1 million challenge. So far, there has been no response -- something Randi predicted.

"All these guys -- Van Praagh, DuBois, Uri Geller -- they know we know how to set up a test," he laughed. "Whenever Uri Geller or Van Praagh are asked about the test, they change the subject."

Another guy who does "cold readings," John Edward, was once asked about the challenge and, according to Randi, he said, "I never talk about a guy whose name is also a verb."

Randy said, "The interviewer laughed and changed the subject."

Source (link includes videos):

JREF has offered the million dollars to anybody being able to prove psychic or supernatural ability for quite a few years.

Randi isn't a total skeptic. He WANTS to be proven wrong. Thus the million dollar challenge. Not many people seem to want to take Randi up on the challenge, especially the ones that make a lot of money from their scam that are afraid of being outed.

I'm quite a big fan of what people like Randi, Michael Shermer, Richard Saunders, Ben Goldacre (and to a lesser extent Dr Karl) try to do. There's so many gullible people in the world willing to gobble up a miracle cure that some charlatan is willing to sell them.

I think education is the key to EVERYTHING!

Check out Randi exposing James Hydrick :p

James Randi exposes James Hydrick - YouTube

Ah man...it's almost 2am and I'm stuck looking at youtube vids.

Check out this video of Hydrick confessing that he was full of crap. Classic :D

James hydrick confesion - YouTube

I've seen a lot of the skeptics do fatal doses of homeopathic sleeping pills. I did the same for an ex after she chastised me for touching her beloved homeopathic sugar pills with my hands after she was stung by a wasp, and telling me that hands touching the pills will make them ineffective. hmmm

I like the Randi vid you posted :D

If I can recommend one book that's worthy of your time, that you may not have read, it'd have to be "Bad Medicine" by Ben Goldacre.

Thanks for the link :)

I got my 2 year old to go to bed at the right time tonight and stay there, that proves I have paranormal powers, right? Does duct tape count...?

What it does suggest however, is these psychics (and other spiritual mediums) are still really good at what they do... Which is fraud!

I personally have the belief - if you're fooled by fraud you deserve to lose your money...

Just so you don't think I am being one sided - I just lost $26.50 to a fraudster on eBay - I deserve to lose that money, I put too much trust in the system and basically, that was a cheap lesson!

There's so many good videos - the one where that person does a reading on several unique people, telling them he just needed something of value to them. Gave them back their readings in a sealed envelope and let them read them privately.

They were all so astonished with the accurate readings... Even I was...

Then he asked them to share with the other people (that they didn't know)... Surprise surprise, they all had exactly the same readings! Identical!!!

Australis - I think you pointed out that video once before - it's such a good one!

Awesome Randi clip, Austy.

The world is just too gullible... $1million and no 'psychic' steps up? No one worth mentioning any way...

Granted they make a killing off those poor gullible/vulnerable 'clients' who are looking for some closure and willing to pay these thieves their life savings, only to be told what they already know - "Oh, his name starts with a 'B' and he had nipples." -- Thanks for that...

Just goes to show how much of a lie it all is. Even if they don't want/need the money, as Randi said; "do it to make me look silly".

You guys obviously know nothing. Their powers only work when they are being used to help others. They can't do it for personal gain like this :p

My Aunt sees someone like this. She's done so for a long time, and more so when her husband died... paying someone to tell her what she wants to hear is sad.

wow none of the spooks are up for the 1mil. shame.

A few people have gone for it i think, none performed their supernatural talents beyond what would be expected statistically by chance alone.
A classic example was someone who could make pages of a phone book flick with the power of his mind. He performed this amazing act in-front of Randi and a live audience. Randi suspected he was just blowing the pages, so set up some light particles around the book to see if they would blow away. Surprise surprise, the performer was all of a sudden unable to perform haha..

Question!
If you were a psychic would you
A/ Sit in a tent all day telling sweaty, smelly people with dubious hygiene habits their future for appropriately $10 an hour.
B/ Buy lotto tickets.

Even a 20% reliably rating would make B very, very profitable. This leads to the inescapable conclusion than psychics don't exist because lotto does.

Question!
If you were a psychic would you
A/ Sit in a tent all day telling sweaty, smelly people with dubious hygiene habits their future for appropriately $10 an hour.
B/ Buy lotto tickets.

Even a 20% reliably rating would make B very, very profitable. This leads to the inescapable conclusion than psychics don't exist because lotto does.

Okay then, if you were really a psychic would you:
A/ draw attention to yourself by continually winning Lotto, thereby rendering life unbearable because, lets face it, who doesn't get curious? Very few people really.
B/ pose as a two-bit charlatan to earn a vague living and keep your true talents to yourself OR:
c/ keep it completely quiet and just 'be a normal person'.

Clarification: I don't believe in psychics, personally I think they're just supremely good at reading nuances in expression and body language, plus a slight hint of weighing the odds correctly, but I am curious to know if anyone would actually have the balls to come out in public with any real psychic ability.

Great thread austy, the gullibilty of the general population never ceases to amaze me.

why would you have to advertise the prizemoney,a real psychic would know about it with out you telling them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back