Jedi mind tricks needed to convert new landlord.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome thank you for your advice, at this stage I'm looking at an aviary that's about 3.2m long, will make sure there is lots of hides, branches, logs etc available. I hope this will just be on the acceptable size. On really cold nights with frost etc I was going to bring the monitor indoors for the night.

A 2 meter long monitor in a 3.2m long mesh aviary? What sort of mesh is it? It could rip through it and burrow to freedom.

No it won't be mesh, it will be a steel cage- I know what these bad boys are capable of!

I take it you are buying an adult lacie?

On really cold nights with frost etc I was going to bring the monitor indoors for the night.

Where inside will you be putting it on cold nights? How will you provide heat when you have it inside?

If you have thought of these things and they are not an issue, then why not house it inside indefinitely..?

Ok so a steel cage, what about the size of it? I don't know anything about monitors, but I know that really tiny tristis will use an enclosure that is over 6ft high. That is so much bigger than them. Not sure if lacies climb much, but I'm sure they'd like more than 1.5 times their length to move around.

Hi Sam, at this stage in my research into logistics, I plan on getting a young hatchie, keeping it in an indoor enclosure until it outgrows it, sell said enclosure and get an aviary for our large back yard. Unfortunately, we don't have much indoor space for permanent housing of an adult. For temporary nights indoors I'd probably do bathroom or my bedroom, provide a hide and some of those heat pads I mentioned a few posts ago. Of course this will depend entirely on the temperament of the individual, which is why I want it as a hatchie so hopefully it will grow to tolerate me. If anyone is seeing any flaws in my ideas do let me know, I want to do a good job caring for a monitor and will rely heavily on expert advice while I research these sorts of logistical issues. Thanks again!

By the way Longqi thanks for the great idea re: hinged log, will definitely have to try that! I've just been accepted into the SES, never used a chainsaw but it looks like they'll show me how!

Any more suggestions please drop them, I'm really benefitting from this thread - I've started a few about large monitors in Melbourne but none took off sadly. Thanks again to all contributing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back