Jungle carpet python lighting and heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we only used heat mats the rest of our enclosures would be 10-11 degrees in Winter............ Which is just not good enough, to only have one spot in the entire enclosure that's above that temp. plus, my Jungle isn't a basker, he prefers branches. Was always up off the floor in his CC where it was cooler (seems to think he's a GTP)

We're only an hour from the snowfields here and get much colder than Sydney. A sole heat mat would be great, if we could get away with that, but it's just not warm enough. By using a globe, all the branches in our enclosures are luke warm and don't suck the warmth from our pythons so they don't spend their time holed up in a hide keeping warm (at least this is what it seems like anyway)

What works for one, doesn't always work for another. Each to their own :)
Middle of winter in western syd, night temps fall below freezing regularly. Avge cool end temp in my enclosures would only hit 15 max if I'm lucky and my jungles are thriving. As you have said, you are getting 33 degree temps 40cm away from the light. Move branches closer and you can use a lower wattage globe. All my hides are in the cool end with a basking shelf the only other semi cover they can access. This way I get to see my snakes and makes them actively seek out the warmth rather than just stay inside a heated hide. Ask Stein enclosures wat sort of heat they use in their large enclosures for most species. I'm betting it's nowhere near 250w. As I've been told by experienced beepers before. Basking spot, room temp cool end and somewhere to hide are the necessities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back