Jungle Python Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfien

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got an exo terra mini tall for christmas (its 30 long by 30 deep by 45cm tall)

Im wondering if it can house a juvenile jungle carpet python or is it too small?

I have a series of questions, it would be soo helpful if you could even answer one of them.

And yes, it would be my first reptile, however I do have experience keeping marine and freshwater fish, not that they're the same animals but .... some experience.

1. Is the terrarium large enough or should I take it back

2. If it is large enough how long will it comfortably house a juvenile jungle python (I know it is waaay to small to house an adult!

3. if it isn't large enough what size should I be looking at to house s juvenile for a decent amount of time

4. Im keen to stick with the exo terra line, so if anyone could tell me what exo terra lighting and exo terra heating I need that would help me out a ton.

I have read a number of care sheets, so im not here out of the blue

Thanks so much for even reading this!!

And sorry if these seem like obvious and basic questions.

Welcome to the forums!

To answer your questions it is almost too large ahah.

Most people keep their pythons in much smaller enclosures and often when young it is the better options. I had the exo terra 45 x 45 x 45 when i got my JCP, i just made sure to have a large amount of fake plant coverage and multiple hides. My JCP was pretty good in there for about 8 months although most JCP can stay in there for a year.

As for heating get 60w - 75w bulb and a good thermostat. There is no need to stick with the exo terra line for that but any of their light fittings designed for heat will do. Lighting is optional, as UV has not been shown to be required for JCP, it is purely up to personal preference. I have LED downlights in my bigger enclosure and a UV in one of my others (Because i got the enclosure with the UV).

Keeping snakes is not an exact science and there are a large number of opinions out there (including mine that you have just read) so take everything with a pinch of salt and look at getting yourself "The complete carpet python" if you are looking for more information.

WARNING: Beware, it is an addictive hobby!!

Edit:
What he was in - http://i.imgur.com/TZw6qEL.jpg
What he is in now - http://i.imgur.com/IxHpzIE.jpg

Last edited:
in my experience Jungle Pythons are by FAR the most insecure hatchlings, usually start with small Tupperware containers, and you can gradually upsize the tubs :) actually that tank size would probably be too big for a hatchy, and can cause them to be frighty and snappy. if you are buying from a reputable breeder they will usually give you their current hatchy click clack box, as a security means and give you an idea of how long it can reside in that size. if snakes do not feel secure it leads to eating and handling problems. so definitely go to an knowledgeable breeder for your first :)

the python would most likely be a hatchling.

I asked a pet shop worker about the terrarium and she said I could house a hatchling in there for about a year.

Is this true or is this just her wanting to make another sale?

You could definitely keep anything up to 12-18 months old in there, but as stated, it's too large for one and the animal would be better suited to something much smalller such as a click clack, for things like temperament, feeding and handling.

Best bet also is to purchase your JCP from a breeder rather than a store, you'll get a better quality animal at a better price, with much better advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back