Jungle Python "Scaley" issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im hoping for a bit of advice before I upset my Jungle by flying her to Darwin to the vets. Now to start off, Im not opposed to taking my girl to the vet and if one was close by I would already be there by now but what I do want to avoid is popping my girl in a bag and box and flying to Darwin, keeping her cooped up for a bit and then flying her back if someone might be able to offer advice. Now for the story...

I have had my female Jungle Carpet for around 18 months now and she has been a dream. Started off as a little vampire who drew blood for fun and has now turned into the most placid Jungle I have had the privlidge to encounter. Anyway, yesterday I had her out in the sun and on the washing line and noticed that some of her Ventral scales were "peeling". Now its not like a shed scale as there is no new scale underneath, just what looks like wrinkley skin (See the pics). It seems to start out as a split down the middle then peels off to one side and is only on her ventrals. There are a couple of small spots that I cannot tell if they are normal markings or maybe a sore or something else, but they dont seem to bother her when I run my hand down them and they are only found in the top third of her body.

I spent the night researching what it could be and it seems to have similarities to Scale rot or Mycotic Dermatitis but does not look as conclusive as the "Internet Experts" state, so Im wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue and can help out please. Needless to say, I have already started with teh Betadine treatment just in case....

Her enclosure and enviroment are as follows but please bear in mind that I am in the NT so heat is not an issue, its keeping her cool that is....

Enclosure- Custom made my SnakeWhisperer -
37 degrees under lamp (When on) and between 26 and 32 in the cool part (Depending on time of day)
Humidity between 40% and 76% depending on time of day
2 Hides availible for her
Aspen Snake Matting as substrate with newspaper underneath - Changed every 3 weeks
Waterbowl big enough to lie in but I have never caught her in it.
Enclosure and plants regularly cleaned with F10

Can anyone may help or advise what I need to change to help my girl out? Anything would be appriciated...

Attachments

• Scale 1.jpg
    Scale 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Scale 2.jpg
    Scale 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Scale 3.jpg
    Scale 3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 197
  • Scale 4.jpg
    Scale 4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Scale 5.jpg
    Scale 5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 209
There's a reason the 'experts' spend their time online, and not in a surgery.

I've had a close look at all the photos (with my glasses on!), and can't see anything that looks like a serious problem to me. Sometimes the ventrals can become a bit flakey as that skin ages, but this will always correct itself when the animal sheds. There's no sign of inflammation or soreness, and no obvious sign of infection. In my opinion, putting the snake on a plane for a visit to the vet would be a total waste of time & money. I would suggest, however, that you become less free with the chemicals - using F10 on a regular or frequent basis is totally unnecessary, and the application of Betadine for anything other than an obvious wound or infection is overkill. The precautionary use (overuse) of chemicals can be more harmful than the conditons you're trying to prevent - snakes get on very well in the bush, confronted with and bathed in all sorts of pathogens, without the need to chemical intervention.

Many, if not most, of my snakes have that crease in the middle of the ventrals, especially toward the rear 1/3 of the belly. As the ageing skin becomes less flexible, it can crack a bit, but it's only the dead outer epidermis, not the growing, living layer underneath.

I think you're looking for problems that don't exist, A snake's skin will suffer wear & tear as the skin ages (that's one reason they replace it). How long since the animal has shed? I bet it's due for a shed fairly soon.

Fewer chemicals and less anxiety is my prescription :).

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a close look at all the photos (with my glasses on!), and can't see anything that looks like a serious problem to me. Sometimes the ventrals can become a bit flakey as that skin ages, but this will always correct itself when the animal sheds. There's no sign of inflammation or soreness, and no obvious sign of infection. In my opinion, putting the snake on a plane for a visit to the vet would be a total waste of time & money. I would suggest, however, that you become less free with the chemicals - using F10 on a regular or frequent basis is totally unnecessary, and the application of Betadine for anything other than an obvious wound or infection is overkill.

I think you're looking for problems that don't exist, A snake's skin will suffer wear & tear as the skin ages (that's one reason they replace it). How long since the animal has shed? I bet it's due for a shed fairly soon.

Fewer chemicals and less anxiety is my prescription :).

Jamie

Many thanks Jamie, you have helped me breath the first sigh of relief since yesterday afternoon. You are right, she is due for a shed soon as it has been quite a while since her last one which could also explain why she has gone off her food for the past couple of weeks. It just bothers me she hasn't followed her same pre-shed behaviour as before, but there is always something new to learn.

With the F10 use, how often would you recommend it? Once every 3 to 6 months or even less infrequently than that? Happy to drop its use alltogether if necessary becuase Im borderline OCD in keeping their enclosure clean.

Thanks again

I'd say if you're a bit OCD about these things, a good clean with F10 every few months is all that is needed, and spot clean where you need to between times. To be honest, I only ever truly spring clean my enclosures every 12 months or so - that is, I wipe the walls and remove perches and either replace them or just give them a good scrub with hot water. Replace the bedding every couple of months, fresh water every 3-4 days, and remove wastes whenever you see them.

Otherwise - relax and enjoy your beasts!

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

I'll continue monitoring it just in case but I appriciate the advice and will definetly take it on board.

S

Shameless bump in a request for more advice from those wiser than I.

A further update to the situation is I have noticed that the "peeling" has spread a little bit down her belly but the "worst" section (where the scales look "wrinkley") has not got any worse but she still has not eaten. After reading around and doing further research (I apologise to any vets on here who I bugged with constant phone calls) I noticed that there was a general trend to snakes lying in their water bowls when they have mites, ticks or other skin issues which my girl has not done... Until last night when I put a larger water bowl in there to test the theory and she was still in there this morning.

I have checked for mite, tickets and any other parasites and can see nothing but thats not to say there is nothing on her at all so Im wondering if someone might be able to help with the below questions please.

Apart from the obvious (Mites and Ticks) what other external parasites bug a snake enough to spend its time soaking in a water bowl?
What is the recommeded humidty for a Jungle Carpet? (My thought pattern here is dehydration)
How often will a snake go through a abnormal shed (No clouding of the eyes, loose skin etc) and is it a warning sign?
Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Thanks for all the help so far, Im just trying to look after my girl as best I can and ifI can avoid her the discomfort of a trip to the mainland, I would.

Shameless bump in a request for more advice from those wiser than I.

A further update to the situation is I have noticed that the "peeling" has spread a little bit down her belly but the "worst" section (where the scales look "wrinkley") has not got any worse but she still has not eaten. After reading around and doing further research (I apologise to any vets on here who I bugged with constant phone calls) I noticed that there was a general trend to snakes lying in their water bowls when they have mites, ticks or other skin issues which my girl has not done... Until last night when I put a larger water bowl in there to test the theory and she was still in there this morning.

I have checked for mite, tickets and any other parasites and can see nothing but thats not to say there is nothing on her at all so Im wondering if someone might be able to help with the below questions please.

Apart from the obvious (Mites and Ticks) what other external parasites bug a snake enough to spend its time soaking in a water bowl?
What is the recommeded humidty for a Jungle Carpet? (My thought pattern here is dehydration)
How often will a snake go through a abnormal shed (No clouding of the eyes, loose skin etc) and is it a warning sign?
Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Thanks for all the help so far, Im just trying to look after my girl as best I can and ifI can avoid her the discomfort of a trip to the mainland, I would.

my brothers bredli goes in its waterbowl when its in shed so that might be what your jungle is doing. or it might be to hot in its enclosure.

Snakes will regularly bathe in their water bowl before a shed. It simple has to do with softening the skin. Nothing to stress about. I checked over your photo's closely. I see nothing to be worried about. To be extra sure you could query if she passed her last feed OK. And if she has been near any other snakes. But as you can see from your photos its only the outer scales that are affected the scales under look bright happy and healthy. I would say don't stress. Just keep an eye on it you will notice if it gets worse.
F10 I would suggest once a month as a Max. Its pretty strong stuff. And just make sure you rinse well after.

Lucas

My albino darwin and a fair few of my carpet bathe in there water bowl for hours sometimes even days before a shed dont stress bro sometimes my snakes miss afew feeds if there coming up too shed not very often but every now and then... and dont always defecate until just before or just after a shed... :D

Cheers guys and gals. She is currently in she'd at the moment and I'm waiting to see how she looks when she comes out of it in 3 or 4 days time.

I mentioned that her water bowl is big enough to lie in but I'm yet to actually catch her in it as she is usually chilling on her top branch but who knows what she gets up to during the day. But she was only in the big waterfowl soaking for 6 hours max

Thanks again for all the advice and a particular thanks to Jamie. Here's hoping the girl comes out as beautiful as before.

- - - Updated - - -

The pictures do not do her justice as it was early this morning when they were taken. But here she is looking shiny and new again. All the belly issues are gone with only a couple of marks still visible but they look like they will clear in the next shed.

Thanks all for your help again.
161012-1.jpg
161012-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back