Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PieBald

Reaction score
Looking threw some older threads and saw that some one said that Queensland was the best place to keep reptiles.
I'm sure this has been spoken about before. But I would like to know which state is best to keep reptiles. In Queensland you can only sell anterasia pythons in pet shops, nothing else. You can't buy reptiles at expos.
So I would like to know why people say Queensland is the best or is there a better state?
Cheers.

There is scales and tails festival and gold coast expo, snakebytestv has an episode on the scales and tail

- - - Updated - - -

There is scales and tails festival and gold coast expo, snakebytestv has an episode on the scales and tail

My understanding is that you can keep a very wide variety of animals on their basic licence(s) and there is much less red tape than places like NSW. I've also read that SA is a close second for the same reasons

Could it have something to do with the warmer weather in Queensland?

I think Melbourne's a pretty easy place to keep them! Our licensing conditions aren't very strict (at least I don't think so) and since it's cold the majority of the year it's nice and easy to maintain temps without worrying (usually) about heat waves.

Queens lands alright but can't you buy like scrubbies at pet shops and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Queens lands alright but can't you buy like scrubbies at pet shops and stuff.

I'm guessing because you can keep anything on a basic licence that isn't venomous. Venomous snakes require a higher, more expensive licence (as it should). So what if stuff isn't available in pet stores? That's good... less likely for more stores to care poorly for a variety of reptiles.

What you can buy at pet shops is completely irrelevant when talking about how good the state is for keeping reptiles. Even if they did sell other species in pet shops, id rather buy from a breeder anyway. Queensland has a huge range of reptiles you can keep and are very reasonable with their licensing. They are strict with dangerous animals and have good measures in place to stop idiots keeping vens. Queensland also has a very reptile friendly climate, south east Queensland has one of the highest population density of reptiles in Australia. Im not surprised when people say Queensland is a great place to keep reptiles. It's a beautiful state and a great place to live for many reasons.

What you can buy at pet shops is completely irrelevant when talking about how good the state is for keeping reptiles. Even if they did sell other species in pet shops, id rather buy from a breeder anyway. Queensland has a huge range of reptiles you can keep and are very reasonable with their licensing. They are strict with dangerous animals and have good measures in place to stop idiots keeping vens. Queensland also has a very reptile friendly climate, south east Queensland has one of the highest population density of reptiles in Australia. Im not surprised when people say Queensland is a great place to keep reptiles. It's a beautiful state and a great place to live for many reasons.

Our licensing laws are pretty good. We are still allowed to own one restricted species on our normal rec licence (Woma or BHP) and then it's as simple as upgrading to get a restricted licence for any more that you want to keep. Personally I'm not interested in buying snakes from pet shops, I think they are poorly looked after and would rather use a breeder.

Our licensing laws are pretty good. We are still allowed to own one restricted species on our normal rec licence (Woma or BHP) and then it's as simple as upgrading to get a restricted licence for any more that you want to keep. Personally I'm not interested in buying snakes from pet shops, I think they are poorly looked after and would rather use a breeder.

Couldn't agree more about pet shops vs breeders, but with keeping restricted reptiles on a recreational license, we can keep a max of two snakes and the species include the green tree python and Woma python. Pretty sure black heads aren't restricted. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Couldn't agree more about pet shops vs breeders, but with keeping restricted reptiles on a recreational license, we can keep a max of two snakes and the species include the green tree python and Woma python. Pretty sure black heads aren't restricted. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

No you are right, that's my mistake. I have the document on my computer and skimmed a little too quick with my eyes. Thank you for your correction though :)

Last edited:
No you are right, that's my mistake. I have the document on my computer and skimmed a little too quick with my eyes. Thank you for your correction though :)

Haha lucky, I have two Womas and a Black head on my recreational license, I was hoping i was right, but got a bit worried haha

I live in Queensland and I have a female woma python if I got a male could I breed them? Or would I need an advanced license

I live in Queensland and I have a female woma python if I got a male could I breed them? Or would I need an advanced license

I also looked into this and i was told that you need to upgrade if you plan on breeding. One person said you have to upgrade before you even pair them together but i think thats a bit extreme, if you pair them up and witness them breeding, it's probably best to call up derm and ask them to upgrade your recreational license just for Woma pythons, it's much easier and cheaper than upgrading to a restricted license for vens.

Ok but to upgrade to a advanced licence do u have to be over 18 or something because I am only 14 ( though I'm not going to breed now maybe in the future)

I think you should wait until you're older before you think about breeding, best to just learn the basics of reptile care and husbandry for a few years before taking on more challenging projects.

(Thats not a stab about your abilities either, It just takes a lot of time, money and knowledge to set up the appropriate measures for breeding snakes.)

Im also pretty confident that within a few years, Womas wont require a restricted license anymore so you wont need to worry about upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back