Just a question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boothy101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all i have recently got given an adult spotted python. Te previous owner told me he was the nicest python she has ever had but she went overseas and the people who took care of him fed him in his cage so now he is cage defensive. But once he is out of the tank he is lovely. Is there a way to stop him being so aggressive in his cage, he is a completely different snake once out of his tank.
Any tips on how to stop the aggression would be much appreciated. Also has anyone else had the same problem.

Feeding in cage usually wont cause the snake to be defensive, it may be the new surroundings that the snake is still getting used to. I feed my female MD in cage and the only time she gets snappy is when food is present. My male is a bit cage defensive and will be for a while yet until he settles into his new environment, i'd suggest regular handling, using a hook if you are worried about getting tagged and possibly even covering the front of the cage if your snake is getting defensive when you walk past. Patience may well be the key with this snake as sometimes a move from their regular environment can upset the system and stress them out!

Thanks for the quick reply. I only got hum today the previous owner told me about the situation. Apparently after they fed him in his cage he gets agressive while in the cage.

Have they fed him live food, that could cause the snake to be snappy, as he may not know the difference between live food and handling if that's the case? I use different signals for when im feeding/handling. I tend to make a bit of noise to let the snake know im coming if its for handling, and for feeding I tend to touch the snake lightly with the food, and then jiggle it around near them. It depends on the feeding habbit of the snake before you got it.

No he is feed frozen then thawed weaner rats. I think maybe now when his tank ges opened he thinks food time. Its pt that big a deal i will just have to get him out with a hook instead of my hand lol. Once he is out he is a puppy dog.

Its normal for snakes to be a bit defensive of their space, a lot of the time they calm right down once taken out for handling.

Hi there, if you only just got him today, he is probably feeling very unsettled by the move, new scents, new environment, I would give him plenty of time to settle in and adjust and when you do get him out, use a hook until you're confident in him, if that makes sense, don't know about anybody else, but I do believe they know when you are uncertain :D

I have 5 snakes (included a Spotted) all fed in their cages - I can stick my hands in and grab any of them without any problems at any time other than immediately after a feed. If cage feeding causes defensiveness then nobody has read mine the script....:lol:

Some are naturally cage defensive. I think the changes to its environment would be a bigger factor in the behavioural changes than feeding in the enclosure.

Regular handling, use of a hook etc.....All the good advice given above should see some progress. If not there is always the chance that you may have to consider hooking out of the enclosure in the future. Not a biggie though - as indicated it handles well outside the enclosure so definitely worth the bit of effort with the hook to remove if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back