Just something I whipped together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
This is an enclosure I built for my new breeding pair of spotted pythons. I'm kinda proud of it since I put in so much effort to get everything looking as neat and professional as possible. It's made from melamine with rebates cut into the doors for the two glass panels. I also made the light cages myself as I couldn't find the double ones and they are too expensive anyway.
The melamine cost about $90 all cut to size by the happy, helpful (lol) people at Bunnings. I think wiring and lights cost about $150 (can't really remember) and my uncle is a sparky so he helped wire it all together. The glass panels were only $25 from an awesome glazier I found. So total was about $250-$300 if you include all the other little crap.
I'd be interested to hear comments/criticism on them :).

Daniel

IMG_0167.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0171.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0175.jpg

that is pretty good champ, you have done well, im a cabinet maker/carpenter and i think its great! especially 4 the price, i come from cairns and alot of blokes spend heaps more trying to get a cabinet like that! big thumbs up, and its good ur uncle is a sparky, that would have saved u a bit of cash, cause sparkys aint cheap! good on u bro! soon enough u will be selling em out of ur home!!!! cheers Deejay

I noticed you have positioned you heat lamp on the side instead of facing down - does this effect the heat output in the basking spot?

Oh and I think the enclosures look great by the way!

Thanks very much Deejay :). I love doing this kinda thing and yeah I considered building them to sell. Maybe when I get more time I'll have a go at it.

Darkhorse I don't think it affects it that much. I guess it won't be heating directly on one spot but there will still be a gradient within the enclosure

Looks really good quick question were abouts did you get the mesh for the lights. I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any. Plus I would probaly buy 1 if u started making them.

Thanks very much guys you are too kind. I'm actually an engineer for work but cabinet making is a hobby I find very fun and relaxing.
Abnrml I got a roll of metal gutter guard from Bunnings. Was about $13 for a 10m roll

nice one mate. maybe put something on the edges of the light cages. they look a bit sharp.

Cheers I think I need to go to bunnings tomorrow. $13 bucks is nice and cheap when they try and charge $30 for the cages in the shops. I can't understand how they can charge that much for 4 simple bends.

Yeah that was exactly my thinking for making them. Nice and easy to bend up too.
I have bent the sharp bits around so they aren't pointy now but yeah I might duct tape all the edges to be sure

Yeah that was exactly my thinking for making them. Nice and easy to bend up too.
I have bent the sharp bits around so they aren't pointy now but yeah I might duct tape all the edges to be sure

Most guys will tell you not to use tape in an enclosure. I'd cut some thin strips of metal. remove the screws, put the strips down then rescrew. would neaten it up nicely

chase.

looks great!, I was refused at bunnings this week with the melemine i had waited 45mins to get someone to come and cut it. Apperentl it has femaldehide in the glue and theyr noit allowed to cut it?

That's strange. I've never heard of that before. Maybe they just didn't feel like it that day haha

I noticed you have positioned you heat lamp on the side instead of facing down - does this effect the heat output in the basking spot?

Oh and I think the enclosures look great by the way!

wouldnt make a noticable difference with party globes but with the directional globes i would think it would make quite a difference to the basking spot temperature.

Nice work dan!

I havent tried making swinging doors yet. On the account that I am too lazy :p

wouldnt make a noticable difference with party globes but with the directional globes i would think it would make quite a difference to the basking spot temperature.
Yeah unfortunately I didn't think about it at the time so I've had to put the hides in front of the lights to give them something to sit on to bask. I'm getting a good gradient though so that's the important part.
Nice work dan!

I havent tried making swinging doors yet. On the account that I am too lazy :p
Haha thanks man. Yeah I'm loving the swinging doors compared to the sliders. The next one(s) will definitely have them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back