Juust another quick query

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnglgrl

Reaction score
Ok, this is gonna sound realy dumb to most of you but do snakes (jungle pythons in particular) yawn? When I first got him (Anubis) 2 days ago and he wasn't hiding I could almost swear I witnessed him yawn 3 times. So being real late at night I didn't put a post in here I looked up yawning pythons on net and the only python I could find that yawns is a ball python otherwise the info led me to think it was RI. But he dosn't have any other simptoms like fluid in his mouth, funny breathing noises, etc. So should I be worried or did he just yawn? :? Sorry, still no pics just yet.

My snakes yawn at almost timed intervals!! Well not really... but snakes do yawn and as Stevo said, they yawn quite often. If only you saw how i first reacted when i saw my baby coastal yawn, it was sooo cute! Anyway, back to the point... they do. :)

hiya jnglgrl. Yes snakes yawn, it is to put their jaws back in after eating and they can do it at any time :). And no question is a dumb question :)

Yes this happens quite a bit, but i'm not totally convinced that this is a true yawn. I think that they're most likely just stretching their jaws rather than actually yawning. It's very common for pythons to stretch their jaws when they think they're about to be fed. If you let your snake know it's about to be fed and then let it wait for 5 minutes or so you'll usually see it yawn once or twice. I believe they are stretching the jaws in preparation for the strike.

I tend to agree with ST, I don't think they are actually yawning in the same context as we define a yawn. But it would be damn hard to prove one way or the other.

tweety2 said:
And no question is a dumb question

I'm reminded of a quote I like:

"There's no such thing as a stupid question. Only stupid people"........Mr Garrison, South Park.

Then again, if you don't ask your question, you really are stupid.

:p

Hix

Note: In case it isn't obvious - I am NOT implying anyone is stupid or dumb.

serpenttongue said:
Yes this happens quite a bit, but i'm not totally convinced that this is a true yawn. I think that they're most likely just stretching their jaws rather than actually yawning. It's very common for pythons to stretch their jaws when they think they're about to be fed. If you let your snake know it's about to be fed and then let it wait for 5 minutes or so you'll usually see it yawn once or twice. I believe they are stretching the jaws in preparation for the strike.

Hey ST thats a good point. I never really thought about that.

wow! thats amazing..you learn something new every day

i see my snakes yawning all the time.

Juust

Yeh,when they get that scent of food and they are hungry the yawn is a great sign to the keeper that the snake is hungry,bluetongues yawn a fair bit also,tired or hungry i dont know :)

Fantastic question jnglgrl! I love that you're so attentive to Anubis. You sound like you've just been sitting beside his enclosure watching and watching. That's how I seem to spend a lot of my time too! And re posting late at night, I've NEVER been the only one on here no matter what the time was.

I just LOVE watching them "yawn". It's so damn cute! And I'm glad I know what it actually is now.

I find that non-snakey people seem to really dig it too. When they see a snake "yawn" it helps them to realise that it is just another animal (like a dog or cow) and does much the same thing any other animal does (like yawn) instead of being a nasty, evil, monster type thing with venom dripping off huge fangs.

And re posting late at night, I've NEVER been the only one on here no matter what the time was.
I've been the only one here when on nightshift a couple times, but not for long! Half of us must be insomniacs or something.

PS I like watching mine yawn too, and its a good time to stick a mouse in the mouth of those stubborn young ones!

I've heard people say, upon seeing a snake yawn/stretch, "Look! It wants to bite us!"

:p

Hix

I'm with ST on this one, it's not a yawn as we understand a yawn, I know this as my snakes get enough sleep :) Mine always yawn after I prise their mouths off my arm :)

I've heard people say, upon seeing a snake yawn/stretch, "Look! It wants to bite us!"
Could they BE anymore stupid??? :roll:

Depends how youn look at it... Ignorant people are somewhat stupid to the rest of us and stupid people are somewhat ignorant... anyway, its too early for me... Long nights and early morning though dont go together!

I think that maybe their are two types of yawning (well, three if you count yawning after biting Afro!), the first being after feeding to put their jaw segments back in place and secondly, the same as any other animal, as a reflex action. I've left a video cam in a snake's enclosure for a long period of time and he often yawned immediately after a long period of sleep under the heat lamp, just as we do sometimes. Just guessing, mind you, but that's my opinion.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/yawn.asp
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3076713/
http://sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=00074524-85CD-1D51-90FB809EC5880000

Luztd, you sound neither ignorant nor stupid! :D
Ignorance is not the same as stupidity Lily my dear
Sorry Afro, I just get a little intolerant of people who fear snakes. I fear children, but you don't see me cowering in the corner everytime someone brings one into the room. And they can do WAY more damage than a tiny little python can :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back