keelbacks/ rough scaled snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lgotje

Reaction score
just wondering how u tell the difference between them and what ther price range is cheers

easiest way to distinguish the 2 is by their loreal scales near the eye of the rough scaled snake.

i once thought i seen a pair of rough scaled snakes, however it turned out to be a pair of keelbacks ... nonetheless it's good to see snakes around ...

WHOAAA!!!!! Wrong way round, and given the potential for a fatal mistake, do research before offering elapid ID's!!!

The keelback has a loreal scale, found between the preocular and the nasal scale.
The Rough Scaled Snake does NOT have a loreal scale.

Keelbacks have divided anal and sub-caudal scales.
Rough Scales have single anal and sub-caudal scales.

WHOAAA!!!!! Wrong way round, and given the potential for a fatal mistake, do research before offering elapid ID's!!!

The keelback has a loreal scale, found between the preocular and the nasal scale.
The Rough Scaled Snake does NOT have a loreal scale.

Keelbacks have divided anal and sub-caudal scales.
Rough Scales have single anal and sub-caudal scales.

face palm bad !! whcasual
as snake_whisperer said above ....and also the fact a roughie is an elapid and a keelback is a colubrid ...so look up the difference between that while your looking up what a loreal scale is too...

keelback
- loreal scale present
- mid scale count 15
- anal & subcaudal scales divided

rough scaled
- loreal scale absent
- mid scale count 23
- anal & subcaudal scales single

However if you are used to snakes then rough-scales look like an elapid while keelbacks don't

please get the ID correct before you even think it could be...cause one will leave a little mark if bitten by it and one will leave you in hospital needing emergency care if tagged ...they can look so much alike especially if you dont actually see the head properly and ya dont wanna make that mistake ever ..

rough scaled elapid NO LOREAL SCALE front fanged venomous snake
DSCF4133.jpg

DSCF4132.jpg

keelback (unfortunantly died of a cat attack) but you can see the loreal scale between the eyes and the nose ..that middle scale ,,elapids dont have these ..

full body shot ,as you can see you can get a tad confused by the similar pattern and colouration (which I may add should NEVER be totally used as an ID form as so many of the same species especialy the likes of eastern browns can be totally different in colour and even patterned)
DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

Last edited:
Keel backs also look like they are smiling while rough scales do not :p Though if you are that close it is probably a bit late anyway.

They actually look very disimilar when comparing them. An easy mistake to be made though...

keelback
- loreal scale present
- mid scale count 15

rough scaled
- loreal scale absent
- mid scale count 23

However if you are used to snakes then rough-scales look like an elapid while keelbacks don't

I don't think I'll be getting that close to see :lol:

Can I add, I dunno what it is but roughies just look evil, keelbacks not so much. :lol: noob comment

can some0ne pease put a pic of each up so i can tell the difference and wat each one goes for as im curious and like em both

keelback
- loreal scale present
- mid scale count 15

rough scaled
- loreal scale absent
- mid scale count 23

I think I should qualify my statement - ADULT rough-scales look like an elapid! Youngsters just look cute :)

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_RoughScaled_03.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_RoughScaled_03.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_RoughScaled_01.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_RoughScaled_01.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 171
Fuscy your pics are always GREAT .....now mine on the previous page look like JOIN THE DOTS in a pre school ....

ha my bad ... that's what happens when you go on the comp after doing 16 hour shifts all week ... sorry people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back