Keen on an Olive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auspython1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I'm extremely keen on getting an Olive. People's thoughts? I know they are typically ravenous feeders but how are they on the handling side of things? and I know it can differ between individuals but whats peoples general opinion on the giant beauties? :).

Olive Python's are usaully very tame and placid for when it comes to handling them, but as you say it depends on each individual and their personality.
Even after l have feed my 2 adult Olive Python's, they never ever seem to want to attack or bite me, l can pat my 12 foot long female straight after she finishers eating, and she will stay very calm and relaxed for me.

Last edited:
though mine has had little to no handling, she is very placid, but yes as you said a crazy feeder. I most certainly don't go anywhere near her for a few days after a feed.... :)

mine are so tame its not funny
the male is a 7ft
female about 4-5 ft
both great eaters
and i think they are just a great snake
i have
womas, jungles, coastal , diamonds and i think the olives have the best overall temp and eatting habbits
the woma is all so so great

My male is about 7 feet and has become my favorite snake, among stiff competition. I got him from a breeder about half year ago, when he was about 5 feet. He was "the snake to be handled" when the grandkids came over.

Get one, or more. Cool animals. Small heads, but they can eat with the best of 'em.

I'm going downstairs to see mine now.

Bill

Last edited:
I don't handle mine all that often but when I do they are no problem at all. Beautiful temperaments. Mine are wild caught & wouldn't hesitate to consider them gentle handlers. Ferocious eaters makes dinner time completely different ball game but respect them accordingly and you'll have no problems. You can't compare them to any other python or even the olive next door. Respect the fact that they are large constricting snakes with big mouth that is full of teeth. Use your common sense and what else can you do other than enjoy them. You will have many years of fun. It is a great experience owning my pair.

My girl is 8'6" and weighs 6kg (just weighed up yesterday at the vet). My boy is roughly the same size, would have been slightly bigger if he had his tail. His weight is probably similar to her.

As a rule, they are gentle giants.
Ive got 5 of them and all are placid and a joy to keep.
Even though they do grow very large, as it grows so will your confidence with it.

I just brought another little female off Jan from this site.
I viewed her adults and they are very big, strong, healthy, and placid animals.
If your in Vic, id ask her a few questions.

Cheers Andy.

I don't handle mine all that often but when I do they are no problem at all. Beautiful temperaments. Mine are wild caught & wouldn't hesitate to consider them gentle handlers. Ferocious eaters makes dinner time completely different ball game but respect them accordingly and you'll have no problems. You can't compare them to any other python or even the olive next door. Respect the fact that they are large constricting snakes with big mouth that is full of teeth. Use your common sense and what else can you do other than enjoy them. You will have many years of fun. It is a great experience owning my pair.

My girl is 8'6" and weighs 6kg (just weighed up yesterday at the vet). My boy is roughly the same size, would have been slightly bigger if he had his tail. His weight is probably similar to her.

I thought it was illegal to take them from the wild?

i have a pair they are about 6 months old and about 4 - 4.5 foot

they are very placid lovely snakes

In our state it is. But in NT keepers are allowed to catch wild animals and place them on their records. I bought two legally caught olives from ppl who already had them on license.

Fair enough.

My Olive is the most likely to bite of all my snakes (my MD and Darwin are both very placid, my Atherton jungle is flighty, but rarely bites). The Olive is cage defensive and extremely food orientated. At least she is predictable - you know when she is aggro (tail flicking everywhere) and you know when she is hungry (which is almost always). Once she is out of the cage she is OK, but I still trust my other snakes more. Beautiful snakes though!

My olive thinks its getting fed EVERY time i open his enclosure even though I feed him in a seperate tub...Once out he is super gentle though..
Your confidence grows as they grow and you know when and when not to handle them,my advise is get a hatchy-yearling so your not intimidated from the get go....You definately will not be dissapointed by having an olive in your collection;)

Never had a problem with my Olive being nasty or whatever .She loves being around people but because of her size and weight the kids cant handle her .She really is a big sook .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back