keeping a bluey and 2 beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Costa

Reaction score
hey guys. just thought it would be wise to ask whether or not keeping 2 beardies and a bluey together would be a good idea.
i currently have 1 beardy and 1 bluey together but have another beadrie on layby.
i want to know if keeping them together when they come to breeding time is worth getting a seperate enclosure for the bluey.
theyre currently in a 4x2x2 atm. and i a have a 2x2x2.5 which i was going to put the bluey in. but im wondering if that is too small for and adult alpine blue tongue.
please halp me out...

Great idea if you like to see Blueys get eaten. I wouldnt keep together different species unless we are talking a large outdoor ecosystem capable of keeping them all nice and happy within their confines.

what Weezer said.

bluey would be better off in the other tank even if it is a bit small, u could always get him a bigger one when u can afford it. :)

That tank is too small for an adult bluie they need the same size tank as an adult beardie. Also it isnt a good idea to be keeping your beardies together year around.

i let my blueys go outside with my beardies in their outdoor enclosure for a day or too, i find that they are happier outside :)

yeh wouldn't house them together, an agressive bluey and a defensive beardie is not a good mix :shock:

thanks guys. advice is appreciated.
ill be sure to get another enclosure for the bluey. and later on another for the other beardy to seperate them a little. cheers

Just out of interest, I keep a bluetongue and a beardie together in a large outdoor enclosure, and even though there are multiple hides in there, they often use the same one! I was floored the first time I opened it up to find the beardie laying across the bluey...

mouse, it only takes one biffo to cause servere injuries, i wouldnt even lock my female beardies in a cage together and everyone sayd thats perfectly ok, Faa and Kaida do nothing but fight these days (they were fine till a few weeks ago) and Sabrina biites anyone in sight.

lucky boo only attacks chubba not the smaller dragons, wouldnt be a fair fight with her beign twice thier size.

animals 'getting along' in the same cage is a day to day event, it can change with the blink of an eye.

We have a bluey "stumpy" that had been housed with another lizard, not sure what the guy said Water dragon????, which ended with Stumpy having his tail completly bitten off! Felt so sorry for the little bugger so took him immediately, $20 cus the guy thought he wouldn't last!
He's doing great now, tripled in size & tail grown back a bit, hence "Stumpy"! But still I think of the trauma he must have gone through :(

Lizards are usually more stressed by others of there own species then of different ones, Blueys and beardys can live fine together and they can kill each other, totally depends on:
a; the particular temperment of the individual animals.
b; the enclosure size and layout.
c; size comparison of the animals living together.
Saying that, you also have to look at the individual needs of each species being kept and make sure they are being met within the enclosure... Alpine Blotched Blueys and Beardies prefer different temps and humidity levels and although it certainly would be possible to keep them together, would it be of their benefit? or yours?

thanks guys.
youve given me some thinking material.
ill look into it and my current financial situation.
i think when i pick up my other beardy ill put the bluey in the smaller tank for now until i get a bigger one. know of any that are selling on here. for a bluey it wont have to be very extravagant will. it.
i mean they are pretty robust animals,
but as you said jason, if they like dif temps and humidity then i should definately think about another encloure.

Weezer; I'd like to see a Beardy eat an adult Blotched bluey.
I totally agree with Jason, are you thinking about you or your lizards? Personally My lizards have grown up with each other and have great temperment. In saying that, I seperate them all during the breeding seasons.
Now I have seperated them.
I keep all my Central Beardies together, my Eastern Blueys by themselves, my Eastern Bearded Dragon by himself & my Shingleback by himself.
All works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back