Keeping desert reptiles in tropics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozziepythons

Reaction score
Something I've read about is that arid zone reptiles (i.e woma pythons, shingleback lizards) can contract respiratory infections when kept on the humid east coast or the top end. Obviously outdoor enclosures are no good, but are indoor enclosures no problem or are there further measures keepers need to take to ensure their quarters are kept dry enough inside?

Hey OP!

I have seen first hand what happens when someone keeps a bearded dragon (arid) in a water dragon's enclosure... Besides this person housing different species together, the arid animal does NOT do well in a humid environment... Consequently (not saying it will happen with you), the bearded dragon never faired well in that environment, was always at the vet with RTI...

As long as you house the animal according to it's 'natural' environment (arid-arid or tropical-tropical), I don't think you'll have a problem. Just keep the water bowl in the cool end (so the humidity doesn't increase), you should be fine...

Is this question regarding a specific species, or just a generic question?

Hope this helps!

Best,
Carolyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back