Keeping Large Monitors in Melbourne

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_H

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm saving for my first monitor. I simply adore them! At this stage I'm looking at getting a hatchie ackie, but my true passion is larger species. Unfortunately, I'm in Melbourne, and it's bloody cold! Has anyone had experience keeping large(r) species like sand monitors or lacies indoors in Melbourne? I'd be very curious to know about enclosure materials/size, diet and heating requirements! I'm just looking at desert style species (don't want a water monitor - already have a turtle!)
Thanks for any pointers guys.

Hey jesse
dont know about jackie monitors have a lacie that will be fine living in doors in melbourne use a waterproof encloser they like to soak and splash water around I feed mine day okd chicks or adult mice. get in touch with croc doc on this site he has about 3 or 4 lacies hatched a few weeks ago and they require a good hot spot of about 45=50 you can achieve that buy using a 150 wide angled flood light buy at bunnings or woolies for $5

Thanks pythrulz, any idea what sized enclosure would be required for an indoor adult lacie?

n00b confusion on my part - is a Jackie Monitor = Sand Monitor = Gould's Monitor?

Last edited:
As Pythrulz said,
Get in touch with crocdoc (David) on this forum.
He would be the best person to ask about all your housing needs.
His Lace Monitor care sheet is 2nd to non.

I know a few people that keep lacies in Melbourne in out door pits, a heated den is used.
Unless you own your own home there is not point in putting in all the work, on an out door setup.

Also look at Spencers, Big, but not huge.

Cheers Andy.

We keep all our monitors outdoors, just make sure they have heaps of sunlight, the more northern and desert species need a hot spot during winter, but the lacies dont, they are afterall from Victoria, including some areas that get well below zero at night, just provide adequate shelter and heaps of access to winter sunlight. Mine were basking yesterday in the 16 degree sunlight, they were very happy, and the female drops eggs every year! If you are getting into medium and large monitors learn to handle them first, the bite is not pleasant and can leave some nice scars! Some people have had very serious bites from large monitors!

Awesome thanks heaps snakehandler! We're currently in the process of moving house, and a place I just looked at then (and am applying for now) has a decent pond and large outdoor area. Could be good for a lacie!

I have a pair of Spencers indoors. They both have their own large melamine 1800 x 750 x 500(H) and they seem to be doing well, although they are 55cm and 80cm so they're not adults yet. I concentrate on whole small animals for their main food source and try to mix it up every few feeds with chicken necks or some turkey mince. I stay away from any mince meats that have high fat content, they love their food and would gorge on the cheap stuff if given the opportunity. They also love organs (livers, hearts, etc) but I haven't experimented enough with them.

Best of luck! I aim to get my first ever Lacie by the end of this year so keep us updated if you end up getting one!

Oh and if you find one, a Spencers would be a great start. They're not as dangerous as a Lacie and dont get to the same size, but they're heaps stockier than most other species so they are generally a bigger heavier animal at a metre than Sandy is, so they still look huge and beastly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back