Keeping to different pythons in the same enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigs

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I need to know if it is ok to keep a costal thats 12months old and a murryxjungle that is 7 months old both are female.

I don't know about keeping them together. I have seen it done successfully before but someone may have seen it fail. But definitely don't feed them together. I've learned that one the hard way.

Give them a go. This pic is of snakes 5 months old, unsexed coastal and the jungle is a male. Separate them at feeding time and prepare another enclosure for when they get big or decide not to be mates anymore.

Po, a male childreni, used to escape all the time from his enclosure and make his way into Isosceles the male jungle's enclosure. They were fast friends and when Po took up residence on top of a new hide I put in there just for him, Isosceles changed from his favourite basking spot to join him. They were always curled up together.

However there is a bit of a size difference and in the end I decided it was probably wisest to seperate them as it would be just too awful if Isosceles ate Po. Both of them are still moping.

reptililian said:
Po, a male childreni, used to escape all the time from his enclosure and make his way into Isosceles the male jungle's enclosure. They were fast friends and when Po took up residence on top of a new hide I put in there just for him, Isosceles changed from his favourite basking spot to join him. They were always curled up together.

However there is a bit of a size difference and in the end I decided it was probably wisest to seperate them as it would be just too awful if Isosceles ate Po. Both of them are still moping.

Perhaps Po could visit on weekends? :wink:

Hey Lily, cant you put their cages together so they can at least see each other. Maybe even separate with fly screnn so they get the smell as well. I can only assume they are both fretting greatly and you must be force feeding them if they are under all that stress now. :D

I have always kept my jungle and my bredli together in the same tank. Both are yearlings. They are reasonably close is size although the bredli is a bit bigger than the jungle. I always take them out separately to feed them and feed them outside of the tank so there is no prey scent in the tank. They get along perfectly well. I've never had any problem. They are often curled up together quite happy.

i always feed seperate but only put snakes together if the same size and not males together so you might be right with females just keep an eye on them.....

My reptile vet told me that you should be really strict with keeping animals apart, for their general health, he says the only good time to keep two snakes together is when they are breeding. hygene is the main issue, if one gets sick, so does the other. not worth the risk IMO.
no to mention all the other assosiated risks (one eating the other)

back when i was a teen we didn't have advice forums to ask questions so we experimented the hard way, i remember haveing a three foot fish tank with all natural substrates, and i started of with a juvi diamond with a mac, then added a geco. all went well, so i added a green tree frog and a golden water skink, and a she-oak, i always had so much to look at, trouble started when i intraduced a two month old blue tongue. he spent his whole time trying to jump up to bite the snakes, so he got removed, then i added a 2 month old olive , within half an hour my mac was gone. swollowed alive. the olive regurgitated it and the mac lived on to become a good breeder. but nowing more than i did back then with zoo keeping experience i agree with azztech, keep them separate as hygene is the main issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back