Kenthurst Panther caught on tape!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hix, i don't believe exotic big cats have established a breeding population in Australia, i believe that there are marsupial lkions still in existence in Australia, no chance of cross-breeding with introduced cats as they aren't placental mammals, but their adaption over hundreds of thousands of years has meant they melt into the bush like leopards melt into the jungles of India.

Most of the herbivorous mega-fauna died out within 20000 years of human settlemetn in Australia, but it stands to reason that n elusive predator wouldn't have been considered a prey item by early avboriginal populations, why hunt a killer, when you can hunt a giant wombat?
As happens with these things, due to restricted populaitons and an overall reduction in the physical size of prey items, means that over time, smaller more secretive cats would survive, so rather than the lion/tiger sized marsupial lions that we know from fossil records, they are more likely to be smaller, puma/leopard sized cats by now.

It is a leap of faith for many, but we have to remember there is SO much about this country that is still unknown, new species are still discovered every year, all a budding zoologist need do is look hard enough and they'll find one!

And as far as colouration goes, a marsupial lion could be black, no one has ever realised they've seen one.

I find the possibility quite exciting and hopefully i'll be able to camping in the Colo valley later this year, where a large majority of recent sightings have been made, i'll be taking the camera and the bow and maybe we'll get some proof.

your takeing a bow... so if this thing is a native cat and its on the verg of extinction your going to kill it?

jeeze we got a smart one here

Kenshin said:
your takeing a bow... so if this thing is a native cat and its on the verg of extinction your going to kill it?

jeeze we got a smart one here

I was thinking the exact same thing. The only thing i would take is a tranquilizer so i could put it to sleep, get my happy snaps, take a few hair and saliva ect samples and then let it be again. The bow would only be an item of protection. And for some reason, i think most of the people in the towns/areas its sighted would be pee'd off if some cowboy dragged its carcass into town. I know i would!

JMO

ErisKSC,

Sorry, thought you were talking about exotics. In that case, you are correct - all native wildlife is protected, whether it be common, rare, extinct or undescribed.

:p

Hix

RE: Re: RE: Kenthurst Panther caught on tape!!!!!!!

know thats a photo shop

A bow would be the only thing i could legally carry there in case of an attack or other untoward situation, i take a bow everytime i go camping whether i'll need it or not.

I'd hate to have to kill it if i found it, but if it felt like trying me out, then i'd protect myself.

I'm not qualified to used tranq's or the various guns that are used to inject them.
But there are foxes, feral cats and other things in the bush that deserve my attention, as well as prehistoric marsupial lions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back