killing mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
serpenttongue said:
blair said:
frezze them

I REALLY hope you dont mean freeze them live!!

I was speaking to a guy at a Pet store last weekend and he recommended freezing the live mice as 'they just go to sleep'.

Yep, I gets all my good advices from Pet stores - they got lotsa animals so they must know! :twisted:

actually two ways are the best/ most humane CO2 or cerviacle dislocation( smacking them on the head quickly or breaking their necks) pick one and give it a go

12 guage???
yeah just let them go down the barrel, it might kick a bit extra :? very humane you might have trouble finding any meat tho :(

If you only have a few grabem by the tail and whack their heads on a brick or something. If you have heaps its probably worth using co2

You can also break there neck by pushing in where their skull joins the spine with a pencil or thumb and pulling there tail, but this needs to be done right or it wont work, probably better off using the other methods.

Just dont freeze them.

Yeah cervical dislocation is the best. Grab a pen push firmly down on the mouses neck and either pull back on the tail whilst putting pressure down on the neck or grab the hind legs and pull.

Rats are harder to kill using the above method. Buy a glass tank and cut out a hole in one side. Connect the gas bottle to the tank. Put the rat in. Put the lid on the tank. Turn the gas on. The smaller the tank the quicker the rat will die. It is even quicker if you put multiple rats in. Take the lid off and stand back. Then freeze the rats.

Guinea pigs or rabbits,again a different method.

C02 is easy- make up a rig with an old soda stream. The alcojet bottles are C02, and are only $11 when swapped for empties.

:)

They shouldn't - freezing is cruel & slow. If they're in a closed container they probably suffocate before they freeze. Not a nice way to go. The ethics of a lot of pet shops leave a lot to be desired...

Jamie.

blair said:
that how they do it at pet shops

I doubt it. Most pet shops probably stock live rodents to sell as pets and stock frozen rodents pre-killed by a breeder to sell as food.

If you know for certain your local pet shop is freezing mice to death you should report it to the authorities.

hey wateva I tried feeding that female I got off ya last night a fuzzie mouse and she threw her head back from it so I tried Pinkys and she ate 3 so thats alright, what were you feeding her before this? should I try her on pinky rats??

when my rats breed and i had no room for them mum put them in the freezer i had no choice it was me against mum and she won
kylie

go for the unforseen slap... It always works for disrespectfull mothers :p nah jokes well i always thought straight into the freezer and they go to sleep like (humane way to kill) toads

Go and stick your own head in the freezer for half an hour then come back and tell us how humane it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back