killing mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not big on killing anything that's why i thought it would be hard to feed my snake rodents but i'm all good, i actually look forward to every wednesday when it's feed day and he knows when it's feed time, he's ready to catch the rat....

hold them by the tail with your little finger so the mouse is in ur palm and thumb and for finger have them at the sholders, then take there head and a sharp pull or twist \, whata takes ya fancy and that breaks their neck... and vwula! dead... be carefull not to pull the heads of the mice... hapens when ya get a bit carried away (neva done it but know someone who has lol)
or just use thymol crystals, eatha, or chloraphill. thats probably more humane...

GreatSage said:
Hi hally,

I'm new but from what I've been told the best way to kill mice is to play them Michael Bolton Greatest Hits or Kenny G and they just curl up and die...
and before everyone has a go I didn't say it was "Humane" just the best way.

But thats just what I've heard I am sure others will have better information!

MY GOD! Someone with my humor! Imposter!! :lol:

Don't use thymol - causes cancer in humans, or ether or chloroform - can cause severe liver damage - you may very well kill your mice, as well as the snake. The only really suitable gases are CO2 or nitrogen. If you're doing a small number then you are better off (and so is the rodent) if you just dong them solidly against the edge of a bench or similar. Not something I enjoy either, but it is as close to instant as anyone can get.

It may be more humane to kill toads in a freezer because they are "cold blooded" and probably just slow down until their life processes cease. However freezing anything alive (even reptiles & toads) is NOT regarded as humane by the animal ethics people.

J.

Some good ideas guys clearly far more humane that what i suggested! 8)

"MY GOD! Someone with my humor! Imposter!"
or am I the real you???

:twisted:

how many times do i have to say i dont even have mice
and im not certain that they no but you can by frozen mice so yeah
but uzing a hammer is worse then frezzeing
would you like a hammer to the head

Since we are on the subject of mice -- does anyone have super mice for sale

When I get some time, I'll post our rig up. Its easy to do, and cheap as.

And the main thing- more humane than freezing, bashing or snapping.

What About nitrous oxide. You can buy the old old soda stream bottles and canisters from kmart I think( you can also get CO2) . nitrous oxide is of course
laughing gas so at least they'll did happy.

I recon you would get about 200 mice into one bottle!!

May be a silly question, but will CO2 killed mice have any effect to your reptiles when feeding, does CO2 have and accumulative effect. I'm keen to try that double glass into the chamber setup
I usually use the good old t-bar on the neck and quick pull of the tail, works every time :)

In my case I am very lucky as my wife does all the breeding of rats & mice etc for my collection. We have found CO2 very effective & humaine, with mice & rats they normally pass out within 30sec to 1 min, we have had many problems though with pinky mice as you can go 20 mins & they are still kicking & we also found that if we wacked them (I stress the least preffered method) that still does not work as it can take many attempts as it is very hard to get a good hold of them. Now with big rats we have found that wacking them against something to be the worst method as the skin around the tail tends to come off & leave the rodent in pain so I agree with a previous post that holding the rear legs may be the way to go.

And to the people who think the freezer is the way to go - what a cruel thing to do, even though my wife breeds the rodents for feeding for my collection she still treats them like pets to her & with that extra care & food etc we do end up at the end of the day with higher quality food for my snakes & no pain to the rodent.

Thanks

Jason

GreatSage said:
Hi hally,

I'm new but from what I've been told the best way to kill mice is to play them Michael Bolton Greatest Hits or Kenny G and they just curl up and die...
and before everyone has a go I didn't say it was "Humane" just the best way.

But thats just what I've heard I am sure others will have better information!

That is sooo good!!! ;) ;) My new favourite member!!! and no, we wont have a go. That sis reserved for other topics.

great sage. pmls.
seriously thou knock em on the head, or use co2 if your killing a few of them

a good knock just behind the head is a good way, but if you don't get it right it can be very inhumane... i've had ones that bled everywhere, and if you don't hit them correctly it can take a couple of hits and they twitch and spasm... horrible to watch and worse to be the one doing it

yes i wouldnt freeze them, without a nice hard flick to the head only works on smaller rodents and swinging by tail and aiming so the neck hits the bench is a good way but can be messy if not done right (dont hold back to much) they can bleed out of nose if not done right and if you swing to hard somtimes the skin on the tail comes off but the snake dpnt mind
but the best and most humane IMO would be gassing them with food grade CO2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back