Kitty's Crumble as Substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
Went to the Sydney Reptile Expo and found one stand was selling kitty litter (Kitty's Crumble - green bag) as a substate alternative.

When opened this stuff has a high moisture content, it's made from coconut shells and apparently has good odour eliminating properties.

I thought I'd give it a try, might be good for snakes from high humidity areas. They also told me you can give it a mist with water every now and then to keep it moist.

I've used it in 2 enclosures and when the bag runs out, that's it!! NO MORE. In fact I might find another use for it sooner. I have a friend or two with cats I might even test it on.

This stuff dries out INCREDIBLY quickly, but that's not all. It also zaps any further moisture out of the enclosure, reducing the humidity levels to almost zero. It also becomes VERY dusty at this stage.

I have been using "Superior Shavings" in the past. It comes in bails of around 20 - 40kg for $12, (clear bag with orange writing) and doesn't dry out the enclosure. Water pythons and Womas just love the stuff.

Has anybody else used Kitty's Crumble and what were your thoughts. - Mine, it is NOT suitable as a reptile substrate!

Last edited:
Hi there
I have used it in enclosures with morelias in it, no problems, no odur nothing! I find it okay. I dont think I would use it on ground dwellers enclosures?

Gday KS, there's a few threads kicking around regarding this product, it seems fairly polarising, keepers either hate it or love it.
Do a wiki search & you'll read a few different opinions & experiences with it.

Personally I reckon it's great (been using it since late Feb). There can be a some moisture in it straight out of the bag, & it's taken a couple of days to dry out in my enclosures (currently have 2x Bredl's & 2x womas on it). The womas like digging in it, it's absorbant & easy to spot clean, & I don't experience any odour issues (well, the enclosures don't anyway). Admittedly I haven't measured the humidity level, but since I started using it, 3 of my snakes have sloughed, & none of those had any problems at all. I also like the natural look in the enclosure, much better than newspaper or BC. These, of course, are simply my own opinions & experiences.

I've attached a link to an older thread that might give you some other opinions but there are other threads out there too.

So long as your animals are happy & you're happy with whatever product you use, then that's the main thing.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/kittys-crumble-litter-substrate-131018

Do they sell them in Brisbane? Are they worth it for a large enclosure eg. 1200mm x 600mm x 600mm?

interesting.....there are very conflicting opinions on this product???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back