Knob-tailed Gecko Colours

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I found these babies interesting. The drab, ugly baby is from an exceptionally pretty, brightly coloured pair, and the brightly coloured baby is from quite a dull, brown pair. I expect them to turn out like their parents, so the colour changes should be quite dramatic in these two little guys. You certainly can't judge a Knob-tailed Gecko from its baby colours!

Neither of these is for sale, but I will have some shortly and have quite a few eggs incubating (levis levis and levis occidentalis). There should be some babies which will grow into gorgeous adults from what's incubating, and some might look good as babies too!

It's funny that I'm sure even if I posted pictures of the parents, I would sell the brightly coloured baby in a flash and no one would want the dull baby, even though it is definitely going to be the better adult.

Keeperslevis.jpg

levisocci.jpg

I will take them both Sdaji anytime! LOL

Great little guys Sdaji,
I took some shots last night of some of my knobbies, both levis & occies.

Attachments

• geckocollage.jpg
    geckocollage.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 225
That brightly coloured ones a cracker mate, but im sure the dull one will turn out awesome in the next 12 months. It really does make it hard when deciding wich ones to sell and wich ones to hold back, you just dont know what to expect from them.

Nice collage, James. Are those pictures taken on a white background and then cut and pasted together, or are the backgrounds digitally altered? A couple of those occidentalis look similar to my old Shark Bay ones. I love the cute little dark baby :)

I find it so funny looking at the colours on the babies! They just look like complete lies :lol: If a savvy levis keeper saw the parents of both they wouldn't hesitate to buy the dark one given the opportunity, but just about everyone else would take the bright baby. I remember seeing babies for the first time and being unable to resist the urge to choose the best looking babies rather than the ones from the best parents. Even recently, when that dark baby hatched, despite knowing that baby colour has nothing to do with adult colour, I was expecting a light baby and was very surprised when it was dark, and I'm still a bit surprised that it's one of the darkest I've ever hatched. I suppose it's so counter intuitive that even when you know what's going on you have trouble believing it!

Sdaji,

The Occies possibly did come from you. There were originally wild caught from Shark Bay area. I have only had them a week or so. I wont breed them now until next season and let the female put some condition on. The shots were all taken on a white background and then put together.

I did get some wild caught Shark Bays in, but if those ones came from me they would most likely be ones I had bred from those wild adults, rather than the wild adults themselves. I thought I knew what they were!

The brightly coloured baby is not too many captive generations in, the parents are not too special to look at but I'm still working with them because they're so close to wild and have a lot of diversity, so could throw anything.

My levis levis are quite a few captive generations in now (I think my line originates back in the 80s). Even so, and despite being from one locality, the amount of variation I get is amazing.

Most of my levis levis come from one sand dune in the NT, but I won't give out the exact location. I haven't ever been there myself, but when I got my first levis levis I was given directions to the exact spot and have always wanted to visit, just for the novelty of it. I have bought a few others since then but the localities have been unknown. I haven't mixed the lines and none of the others are as good as my first ones.

O.K cool, would the female i bought off you a couple of years ago be from that particular group of animals?

I can't remember which one you bought, but most likely. If you say it was female I assume it was an adult, in which case I would remember her. Were you one of the ones who bought females from me around that time which quickly had two or three clutches over the two or three months after sale?

I can't remember which one you bought, but most likely. If you say it was female I assume it was an adult, in which case I would remember her. Were you one of the ones who bought females from me around that time which quickly had two or three clutches over the two or three months after sale?
Yeah thats the one, Adult female.

Sdaji,

The Occies possibly did come from you. There were originally wild caught from Shark Bay area. I have only had them a week or so. I wont breed them now until next season and let the female put some condition on. The shots were all taken on a white background and then put together.

james, do u mind if i ask u what program u used to make the collage it looks great.

Sdaji, cute geckos, i actually dont mind the darker one. go figure. !!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back