Kritters Crumble- pro's & con's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gday people,

i'm looking at switching over from newspaper to kritters crumble for something different so i am looking for any reviews or opinions from those that are using it.

i have had a search and have seen many use it, but no real opinions of how it performs.

I have used aspen in the past for bluetongues and loved it, only down side was the cost (which i am yet to find out with KC but am led to believe it is well priced).

any opinions from your experiences with it welcomed.....

also interested if you use the fine or co**** grade and which has worked better- i am looking at co**** to try minimise the snakes ingesting it at feed time.

Last edited:
Hi, I use kritters crumble with my snakes and lizards and have had no problems. Its a natural product, so I've been told shouldn't have any problems with impaction, etc. Plus it looks great! I've only ever used the fine due to one of my Beardies having a stump for a leg and couldn't have anything too co****. But im a thumbs up for this product.

it looks the goods, my main issue is the spot cleaning as i normally replace everything as soon as i see a mess, papers free.

not sure about the full replacement at 3 monthly intervals like they suggest, id think 2-3 weeks max with daily spot cleaning, again depending on costs.

i've heard it is a little damp, but assume with heat in the enclosure that would dry right out fairly quickly.

hi, i use it in both my BHP enclosures, its great, its easy to spot clean and it is a bit damp when you first open the packaging but soon dries out in the enclosure. My snakes love it because they can burrow in it. I use the course stuff. I have never had any problems with it.

hi, i use it in both my BHP enclosures, its great, its easy to spot clean and it is a bit damp when you first open the packaging but soon dries out in the enclosure. My snakes love it because they can burrow in it. I use the course stuff. I have never had any problems with it.

Yeah same here, my BHP loves to burrow and trash it, and its cheaper then sand and other substrate too.

And one bag will spread far in a enclosure.

Last edited:
i used a 3kg bag and it covered the floor of a 1200x50x50 enclosure and 900x50x50 enclosure.

G'day Stu,

I've been searching for the perfect substrate for years, but always ended up going back to newspaper for just about everything apart from Shinglebacks, which I had on Breeders Choice for obvious reasons.

I was given a few bags of Breeders Choice at Wild Expo and liked it that much I bought the entire lot they had left over at Scales and Tails - enough to fill the back of a ute. I've only used it with a few snakes but we have a couple of banks of enclosures almost ready to go that I'll put it in with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
its very much the same as Kitty's crumble kitty litter... It is a little more in price for a smaller bag but come dry whereas the kitty's crumble is slightly moist... I pay around $18.00 for a 20-25ltre bag of kittys crumble. I love it great for use with snakes and I have my beardy on it now too... absorbs moisture and odour while looking good...

its very much the same as Kitty's crumble kitty litter
It IS Kitty's Crumble, just a new name & now also a co**** grade.

I've been using it for nearly a year now, both grades, & reckon it's great. Looks good, easy to spot clean, relatively cheap (compared to the ransom like prices asked for aspen). As others have said of their BHPs, my womas also like shovelling through it. They, & my Bredl's, have occasionally ingested a small amount at feeding time with no ill effects at all (of both fine & co**** grades).

It could be costly & time consuming for those with a large collection, but as I only have a handful of pythons, I intend to continue using it.

G'day Stu,

I've been searching for the perfect substrate for years, but always ended up going back to newspaper for just about everything apart from Shinglebacks, which I had on Breeders Choice for obvious reasons.

I was given a few bags of Breeders Choice at Wild Expo and liked it that much I bought the entire lot they had left over at Scales and Tails - enough to fill the back of a ute. I've only used it with a few snakes but we have a couple of banks of enclosures almost ready to go that I'll put it in with them.

Ummm breeders choice...

thanks for that everyone, think you've sold me. only have 10 enclosures with womas and childrens now so i'm guessing all of them will enjoy having a dig around. cheers.

how do you think it will go with a pegboard back on the enclosure? Do you think it will fall through or block up the holes at the base of the enclosure?

Not a big issue but might just be a bit of a pain.

Also, does anyone know where you can buy it bulk to make the price more comparable with Hysorb for keeping rats on? (dont want to steal your thread stu but thought id ask!)

When I used to breed large quantities of rats, I was buying Hysorb by the ton for about $8 a bale - I doubt you'll get anywhere near that value from Kitty's Krumble.

if it slips through the pegboard just screw a piece of wood about an inch high along the back.

still waiting to hear back from rob about that dave. I've got the qld reps phone number if you want to hit her up. if i like it, and others did, i'd be up for putting in $ for a pallet load.

next trick is finding it, anyone know where i can get it around logan or south brisbane area? all the places i've been told that stock it have drawn a blank.....

Last edited:
I can sort you out with some now if you like, just replace it when you do find someone who sells it or if you buy a pallet load.

might take you up on that offer jonno. i believe some is coming into stock next week, if i miss out i'll give you a yell and try catch up with you somewhere.

Their online store locator isn't working at the moment but if you email them from the Contact Us link on their site, I'm sure they'd be able to let you know where you can get some local to your area.

Last time I checked their site, it said there was a store in Northmead, Liverpool and I think the North Shore somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back