lace monitor behaviour

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldoncooper

Reaction score
Ive recently added a new lace monitor to my collection I think its around11/2 to 2 yo he has allways been force handled so when I fist got him he would take off the minute u opend the enclosure. Ive been taking it slowly with him ive had him about a month and I can now put my hand in with glove on and he will come up and rest his head on them. In the last couple of days he has started to climb half way up my arm with plenty of tounge flicking however he seems to be almost headbutting and and pushing his nose into my arm.has anyone have any experience with anything similar or have any idea on why he might be doing it. Ive had lacies before from hatchies and havnt experienced it before. Cheers

Ive recently added a new lace monitor to my collection I think its around11/2 to 2 yo he has allways been force handled so when I fist got him he would take off the minute u opend the enclosure. Ive been taking it slowly with him ive had him about a month and I can now put my hand in with glove on and he will come up and rest his head on them. In the last couple of days he has started to climb half way up my arm with plenty of tounge flicking however he seems to be almost headbutting and and pushing his nose into my arm.has anyone have any experience with anything similar or have any idea on why he might be doing it. Ive had lacies before from hatchies and havnt experienced it before. Cheers

Don't let him push his nose into you, it means he's sussing out if you're edible or not.

I agree with RSP in that you should be wary of this sort of behaviour in your charges. Either he's lining you up for a taste, as suggested, or he's displaying domination behaviour, much like when a dog puts both paws on you.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys I dont want him having a taste I rekon it will hurt. Any ideas on how to stop him from doing that besides not letting him climb up my arm as id like to keep taming him. Maybe increase his food

Be very very careful not get bitten by your Lacie - even a medium sized Lacie can deliver a very serious bite. If the behaviour continues, don't let it climb onto your arm.

Jamie

Yeh its one of those things do I persist and see if he stops. Its a fine line. Id seen him a couple of times when he was force handled and didnt see that behavior

The plus side to keeping monitors, is they respond to sound aswell as movement. When mine start poking their noses into me, I make a loud, sudden noise (like you would indicate to a dog, that he shouldn't be doing that. But not so loud that you panic the monitor). Most of the time, that does it, but sometimes you will need to add your other hand into the equation. What you do with the other hand, you will have to work out by watching the response of your monitor, as they are all differant. One of mine requires me to lift his head with my hand while making a noise to indicate "that's bad". Another one requires me to simply move my hand around the air, also making the noise. You just have to watch that you don't move your hand to fast, otherwise you might get a feeding response, and no one wants that.

You'll find they continue this behaviour throughout their lives, there's no behavioural programming you can apply to curb a naturally inquisitive nature, apart from distraction as others have mentioned. Nosing and accompanying pupil dilation is the combination to look out for...."Danger, Will Robinson!!" It's like being stalked by a Velociraptor:)!

Thanks guys I appreciate your help. He only does it once his head has passed the glove I wasnt sure wether he was just checking to see what he is climbing onto or he wants a taste.if I put my gloved hand in front of him he just rests his head on it and shuts his eyes. Then I thought do I need to increase his food. So I figure im better off asking than loosing a bit of my arm.

Be aware, welders gloves offer protection from claws only, the teeth of a lacie can still penetrate. "Placebo's" I call them :).

Dam I was putn my trust in them gloves. Id say he's about 1.1m long. I have had a 1m long gouldie taste me once and I didn't like that to much didnt seem to want to let go not sure if he got a taste of my blood and decided he'd hold on for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back