Lace monitor cage plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julespython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a large adult lace monitor in an outdoor enclosure in ballarat and I want to get some plants to put in there. What are some must have plants that suit lace monitors and go well with them? The cage isn't that high so I can't plant gum trees or else they would eventually smash through the tin roof. Yet if I plant something too small he will flatten it in a day and it wouldn't have a chance to grow. I'm just looking for something that really makes the cage look like there natural habitat. Any ideas anyone?

I'm building an outdoor enclosure this weekend for my Lace Monitor/s, I'd love to see a photo of yours.

I've planned on planting some native grasses, I think anything else will be ruined/trampled.

I'm thinking maybe some branches secured to the top of your enclosure & the other end partially buried into the ground...then maybe some sort of creeping vine wrapped around the vine?

The only 2 species of plants that have managed to survive in my Lacie enclosures, are Banksias and Bottlebrush. I have tried many other grasses, shrubs, and plants, but they just couldnt survive the Lacies walking through them and over them breaking branches. Also lots of hollow logs and branches secured to the enclosure.

I'm about to start building mine soon, my lacies only small but I want my enclosure to be perfect, so I better start early... I'm thinking about putting a black boy tree or a cycad or 2 in as they're hardy, slow growing and native.... Can't wait to see how your enclosure goes.... Pics please (for inspiration.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back