Lace monitor outside

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julespython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I want to get a big lacy to put in my outdoor enclosure but I live in ballarat and I'm worried about the tempratures in winter which can get very cold. Is there any thing I can do to keep him warm in the winter? I was thinking of making a large insulated box to submerge half underground for him to live in. Would this be okay or is this an all round bad idea to keep a reptile outside in ballarat on days that can get -2 some cold winter nights. I got the idea from the halls gap zoo's lace monitor enclosure which had a heated little room for them to go in.
What are your thoughts.
Cheers

You could always try one of these to keep the frost at bay. Made from 75mm cool room insulation panels (second hand units), with or without heating.

Attachments

• heated hide 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    heated hide 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 160
I live in adelaide i don't own a lace monitor my self but at a reptile park they had a nice big cage outside then in the middle there was a hill of dirt and in the middle of the small hill was a box with glass sliding doors and a heat lamp in it.

Good idea mate ha.
Iv been constructing a large hide box for him and I'm going to line the walls and floor with a few heat cords and cover them with Perspex. The the outter layer is going to be sheets of corrugated iron with insulation under it. Should keep him warm? I'll put some picks up of it tomorrow

Good idea mate ha.
Iv been constructing a large hide box for him and I'm going to line the walls and floor with a few heat cords and cover them with Perspex. The the outter layer is going to be sheets of corrugated iron with insulation under it. Should keep him warm? I'll put some picks up of it tomorrow

Another option may be to simply bring him inside and keep him at ambient room temps over the cooler months, especially if your hoping to breed down the track. It also keeps heating/feeding costs down as they can go for several months if you brumate (mine average 120 days/ 10-15C). I usually keep them warm for their first year, however.

Hope this helps.

i plan to keep him outdoors permanantly. i dont plan to breed ill only have the one monitor. between what months would he brumate down here?

I keep my lacies outdoors permanently in Adelaide and have done for several years, just give them a hide box where they can keep dry and they`re fine.

i plan to keep him outdoors permanantly. i dont plan to breed ill only have the one monitor. between what months would he brumate down here?

As soon as the weather cools enough for him to no longer be interested in food. Up here in Armidale, mid May is usual and they don't commence feeding again until early-mid September. We get well into the minus temps here (-12c) and occasional snow.

Oh okay then so the tempratures here are around the same as adelaide. I want to be putting a, roughly 18 month old, Lacie into the outdoors enclosure next week but it might be a bit early because the temps are still 10 during the day and like 3 at night. Should I wait until the temprature get warmer befor I put him out there. He will have he's heat box he can lay in for a couple of months until the weathers warmer maybe?

Oh okay then so the tempratures here are around the same as adelaide. I want to be putting a, roughly 18 month old, Lacie into the outdoors enclosure next week but it might be a bit early because the temps are still 10 during the day and like 3 at night. Should I wait until the temprature get warmer befor I put him out there. He will have he's heat box he can lay in for a couple of months until the weathers warmer maybe?

If it were me, I'd hang onto him until the weather warms abit (say mid 20's); no harm in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back