Last '09 Herps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheMan

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just some photo's of a few things I found before the end of the year, went on a camping trip for a few nights and found bugger all for the time and km's we put in, drizzled the whole time so only 1 diurnal was found and bugger all nocturnals too, apart from plenty of blind snakes.

Some frogs
Picture005-2.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

Joey Blakes
Picture012-4.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Embarrassed to announce this guy stole my snake bite virginity, thought he was a real cruizy snake but got the camera a bit close to him for his liking, so he got my trigger finger. Felt a bit like a bee sting for about 10 minutes, nothing compared to the jumping bull ant that got my toe!
Picture058-2.jpg

Picture060.jpg

Picture020-2.jpg

Daring me to take the torch back, shame it's a bit blurry.
Picture018.jpg

This decent sized Carpet looked like a Darwin
Picture026.jpg

Notice the lump on the side of his face, old injury?
Picture025-3.jpg

Picture029-2.jpg

Picture064-2.jpg

Blindy
Picture067-1.jpg

Heaps of these around this year, got this photo before pulling him out of the tyre
Picture023-1.jpg

Patternless
Picture038-1.jpg

Picture050-3.jpg

Anyone know what this thing is?
Picture052-2.jpg

The place was full of leeches, had to pull a few off ever 10 minutes, learned that bush walks in thongs leaves little places for them to hide, unlike shoes
Picture048-2.jpg

Can anyone ID this massive snail? Shell was about 12cm, I thought it looked like one of those African ones, but now I'm not so sure, especially due to the fact they're not believed to be in the wild any more after a heap were eradicated near Cairns a while ago. Plus the shell doesn't look to elongated enough, but nothing in my book matches this one with either size nor appearance?
Picture062-1.jpg

Picture063-1.jpg

Not far from where I camped, one my favourite places, beautiful spot. I'm sure it's familiar to some of you!
Picture056-1.jpg

beautiful shots, love the red eyed one, just curious, how common are the pink tongued skinks and what type of habitat are you finding them in? are they common on dirt roads?

All the Pink Tongues I see are in rain forest, pretty much a 50/50 ratio of patternless and patterned specimens too. And a lot have been near water, twice I have found them on a bridge, and on any sort of road.

Very nice, Dan. I like the display of the Bandy Bandy.

The wierd arthropod is a Pill Millipede. They are odd millipedes that can curl into a ball with only their armour exposed.

Regards,
David

the snail is a Panda Snail

Cheers,
Scott

Sweet, thanks for those ID's guys!

Overlooked that Panda Snail in my book! Pretty obvious now, as it always is once pointed out. According to my book I found it 80km out of it's range, nothing substantial though.

Last edited:
Is that anywhere near Kenilworth by any chance? I drove my wifes pulsar up that track to the falls, who needs 4x4

Yeap it is, I have also driven a little sedan on this track, ignore the high clearance 4WD only sign, unless there has been good rain obviously.

Some awesome pics Dan, looks like you guys had a good time

Love the Bandy Bandy :p

Grea pics Dan, love the pic of the the Bandy Bandy in threat mode :D

Wish I was that successful when I go out herping lol

Grea pics Dan, love the pic of the the Bandy Bandy in threat mode :D

Wish I was that successful when I go out herping lol

It's the 1st time I have seen a Bandy do that display for me, it was already like that by the time I got to it, pulling over set him off, was awesome to see for the 1st time!

If you head to that spot I told you about you should see plenty, just PM if you want to know more mate

Sensational stuff Dan, i love that crowny, and the bandy bandy is brilliant, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back