LED Lighting for my Coastal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Django

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hi all. I'm in the process of having a new home built for my 5yr old Coastal Carpet Python and have been considering using LED lighting with daytime (white) and moonlight (blue). As far as I can work out he doesn't need UV so I figured 2hrs blue then 5hrs white then 2hrs blue might look quite nice.

I've checked out some of the aquarium LED systems and they seem quite good. They don't heat up much and seem to give a nice light. The enclosure will be 1800hx1000wx600d and I'm thinking a 14w (900mm long) setup.

I'm surprised that most people still seem to use flouros and was wondering if I'm missing something?

i use waterproof LED strips in all of my enclosures , I use white and reds in the crocs enclosure and just whites in all other enclosures theres heaps on ebay atm .

Thanks for the reply. I've been debating between reds and blues but figured there's a red heat lamp for night time so the blue might be nice for moonlight before the red kicks in.

When you say strips, I assume you mean the solid strip batton and not the LED rope lights?

I'm surprised that most people still seem to use flouros and was wondering if I'm missing something?

I had some LED strip lighting in my Coastals enclosure (the stuff that has sticky backing comes on a 4 metre roll) I found it didn't provide adequate light for viewing. I have since replaced it with a t4 flouro and it makes a huge difference in viewing quality. I have bought LED white and blue strips from ebay (chinese sellers) and they do vary in quality of output.

Thanks for the reply. I've been debating between reds and blues but figured there's a red heat lamp for night time so the blue might be nice for moonlight before the red kicks in.

When you say strips, I assume you mean the solid strip batton and not the LED rope lights?
I used the stick on led strip lights , comes in a 5 meter roll and you cut it off at what ever length/s you want . and yes there is a difference in quality , I found the 600 LEDs per roll is better quality then the 300 LED version . and of course the 600 leds are brighter over all .

I used the stick on led strip lights , comes in a 5 meter roll and you cut it off at what ever length/s you want . and yes there is a difference in quality , I found the 600 LEDs per roll is better quality then the 300 LED version . and of course the 600 leds are brighter over all .

That's what I use....make sure it's the waterproof one tho. Bout $15 for 5m from memory

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking at one of the setups that normally goes above an aquarium so output isn't a problem. In fact I've been advised that most will be too bright so I'm looking at one of the lower powered (ie: smaller) ones. I'm figuring that providing I balance the output wattage to roughly what a flouro would produce I should be fine.

So, apart from not being bright enough it sounds like there's no real problem/difference with using LEDs?

I have found the lighting to be perfect , in the 2 below pics I am using 4 90cm length white strips . you can see the reflection of the strips in one pic . for the python enclosures I only use one length and have them on a dimmer as they are pretty darn bright .

Attachments

• chilling.jpg
    chilling.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 67
  • pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 65
I used LED strip lights in my enclosures and they didn't last 4 months they got too hot and failed one even caught light with my MD still in there(thank goodness to no ill effect)so i'm going back to fluorescent lighting

I used LED strip lights in my enclosures and they didn't last 4 months they got too hot and failed one even caught light with my MD still in there(thank goodness to no ill effect)so i'm going back to fluorescent lighting

Caught fire I assume you mean?
Interesting......we're they low voltage ?

Caught fire I assume you mean?
Interesting......we're they low voltage ?

they were meant to be low voltage but every LED turned black and the one that caught fire also burnt the inside of the viv i was lucky that i stuck my head in the viv just as the flames started

Ive been contemplating my self whether to use a fluro or led's. I am a little concerned on the sticky side of the led, any adhesive surface is deadly to a snake

Ive been contemplating my self whether to use a fluro or led's. I am a little concerned on the sticky side of the led, any adhesive surface is deadly to a snake

I peeled of the backing and ran a bead of liquid nails along the length. I challenge anyone to try rip it off !!

they were meant to be low voltage but every LED turned black and the one that caught fire also burnt the inside of the viv i was lucky that i stuck my head in the viv just as the flames started

To me that sounds like a fault with the transformer or the wiring. I have LED's everywhere and never had a problem. I've even used them outside around my deck and ran 5 x 5m lengths together with no problem....albeit a bigger outdoor transformer
jy7ezy6u.jpg

apemyqag.jpg

yeah i don't know what went wrong but i bought 10 1m lengths and every one failed
was it this type of led lights? as everyone of my below style leds have crapped out .I have even had those type of transformers die .

Attachments

• led kit.jpg
    led kit.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 49
yup iv used both types the ones I posted were junk , the other type mrthumper posted are the ones im now using .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back