(Legal?) Advice on dealing with Optus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorpious

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can give me advice on where I stand. I have my phone and internet through Telstra (Bigpond), anyway I got some nasty spyware and crap not too long ago, and then received a phone bill of $400 from Optus. I rang them to find out what the hell the bill was and they said for my account. I told them I was with Telstra and they told me it was probably cause my computer was hacked, but I am still liable for it. Is this the case? I certainly never started an Optus account or anything, so I don't see how it can be charged to me even if my phoneline was hacked via my computer.

I'd politely tell them to jam it where the sun doesn't shine. I can't say I've ever dealt with optus but both vodafone and Telstra are two of the most inept companies I've ever dealt with, with Telsta by far and away the most useless pack of idiots you'd ever come across, so I can't see optus being much better.
All I can recommend it is make a note of the time and day of every phone call you make and the name of the person you talk to in tryng to sort it. Don't be afraid either to backcharge for any time and costs incurred if the problem isn't your fault. I've done this with Telstra on planty of occasions and been paid every time, so long as you can justify your charges.

If they hassle you, act very scared and ask if they'll end your optus account if you don't pay, when they say yes, pretend you care :p

What exactly have you been charged for? Ask them to show you where you 'signed on the dotted line' (i.e. ask to see a copy of the 'contract' you signed where you agreed to open an account with them).

it seems optus just send out bills hopeing people will pay them buy mistake im going through a similar thing at the moment with them where they send me a bill every week for a different amount they have sent me bills since october last year ,they know i don't owe them anything but instead of just cancelling the bill and fixing the mistake they offer to credit my optus account with the amount of the bill if i pay it ,when i disagree they say then pay the bill and ill send you a check for the amount,they don't seem to understand whats going on in there own organization they have sent me a check and a collection letter from statewide recovery services (i could go to the bank cash the check pay the bill but why should i i'm not with optus i have to constantly point that out to them) "we will credit your account" "are you listening i don't have an account" im with iinet.since then they have knocked on my door offering some promotion in the area they have done the same thing on the phone and in the post,they are on my TV on my phone in my letter box at my door its like the mafia changed there name to optus (sometimes i play with them and say well which bill would you like me to pay) "oh um the most resent one""well iv'e got one here for $25 and one for $59" "the one for $59" anyway if you call the TIO (tellecumunications industry ombudsman) they will tell you to call this number 1300 135 014 this will direct you to optus high level customer relations group they recive referals from the TIO don,t try calling the customer support number on your bill it will only end in teers

Something doesn't seem to gel here. How can you receive a phone bill from optus if telstra is your line provider?

We've had people refused home loans because they haven't paid disputed telco bills and then the telco registers them with Baycorp. However, if they have billed you for something that you didn't ask for then you owe them nothing. The TIO advice above is the best thing to do if they hassle you. Alternatively, write/fax them a letter. If they don't respond to a letter you can assume that they have accepted what you said.

But hey, its not just the Telcos. Had my car in for a service today and at 11am, like clockwork, I got a call recommending that I take the "injection service" for $97.00 and the "Air Conditioning Service" for a similar amount. This is also just a marketing scam but they are not breaking the law if you say "go for it". You just pay 200 bucks for 2 bottles of useless crap.

I have had cause to seek the services of the telecomunications ombudsman in the past.

I found them particularly useful... and the telcos do take notice of what they say... just have the reference number they give you handy to quote in all correspondence (including phone calls) that you have with your telco.

http://www.tio.com.au/

dino wrote:
they say then pay the bill and ill send you a check for the amount,they don't seem to understand whats going on in there own organization they have sent me a check

dino, I'd cash the cheque, then tell em to get stuffed!
Skorpious, see if they'll send you a cheque too :lol:

Sorry to make a joke of your unfortunate circumstances, but I see a good oportunity to get some compensation for your wasted time. If they ask for that money back just say you thought it was a gift to say sorry for the inconvenience. While you're at it try to get a few grand out of them for a new woma or even a GTP :lol:

the best thing you can do in a case like this is try to work it out with them first but if you don't get any satisfaction get in contact with the communications ombudsman and inform them of what is happening. As a last resort you could always contact Today Tonight or A Current Affair......They seem to get results

PeterJ said:
Had my car in for a service today and at 11am, like clockwork, I got a call recommending that I take the "injection service" for $97.00 and the "Air Conditioning Service" for a similar amount. This is also just a marketing scam but they are not breaking the law if you say "go for it". You just pay 200 bucks for 2 bottles of useless crap.

Peter- Scotty isn't one of those kinda mechanics...he believes in honesty with customers...he disagrees with the company he works fors policies- but there's not much he can do- unless someone enters us in lotto and wins a couple million $$....Then he'd start his own workshop- one thats HONEST...and doesn't try and sell you crap you don't really need just to make extra dough. He is a mechanic because he loves cars, not because he loves money.

Skorpious- call the Ombudsman, your local member for parliament, the newspapers- anyone who'll listen. Expose these mega loaded companies for what they are- useless, annoying and inefficient.

PeterJ, if it is a proper injection service, then it is worth the money, however, it only needs to be done every 4th service give or take. It does help keep the crap out of your injectors. The A/C service is only really necesary when it aint getting cold.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will give Optus number Dino suggested and try to work it out, failing that it'll be off to the TIO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back