Les.....or Lesley?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Snakologist
Reaction score
I picked up a 6ft Murray-Darling on Monday. The guy I bought it from bought it as a female and later had it probed and was told it was a male.
I got an email from him yesterday explaining that he had just found out that female Murrays can probe to 8 scales which is what this snake probed.
I probed the snake myself but I am not very confident and was extremely cautious. I also probed to 8 scales but I am not positive in my accuracy.
I will be tking him to a very experienced vet early next week to get a positive sexing.
This snake is very chunky....thinking perhaps gravid and it is also a bit hissy in its enclosure...another sign perhaps.
All will be cleared up next week...one way or the other.

A bit premature with your signature there young Greebo. The results from the Tipping Enhancing Drugs testing still aren't back from the Lab yet.

Gregory.

Chief Steward , ATR Footy Tipping Comp 2004(NRL)

Greebo, have a look at its spurs. At 6 ft long it should be sexually mature and it's spurs fully formed. Male Carpets have long thick spurs, whereas females have very short and thin spurs. This may save you a vet visit.

thinking perhaps gravid and it is also a bit hissy in its enclosure...another sign perhaps.

Gravid......that wouldnt be so bad! :p

if it probes to 8 subcaudals I'd say female, but those 8-9 subcaudal probing carpets are nasty! It could be a male in which you're not probing deeply enough, or a 'small' male, but female is my guess if the probing has been done properly.

At this time of year it's probably too late for any breeding attempts and if you think it may be gravid, don't disturb it with probing or vet visits for the sake of sexing. You'll know soon enough whether or not she is gravid, and if she lays eggs you'll know the sex.

Seems a little strange to me though, if she's possibly gravid, I assume you know she's been with a male and there's some knowledge of the snake's history, surely if it's been with a male the person you bought it from should be able to tell you a bit about your snakes behaviour in that time etc. Carpets are much better at sexing carpets than people are at sexing carpets, and their behaviour when placed with a known male is often a fairly sure method of sexing.

I hate it when they probe to 7-9 :S
Could be either way.
One of my coastals (never bred) did this and I'm still not sure.
I think she is a she and the male did not do the job this year but .....?
good luck anyway greebs.
Did the guy buy a 'pair' then think he had two males and kept them together?

That's exactly what happened Mags. So if it is a female then the opportunity for matin was there.

I had a look at the spurs Bob, they look short to me. I would still like to get the vets opinion. He is just down the road and only charges me every now and then...not your average vet as he really likes his reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back