lethargic bearded dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

contos

Reaction score
ok so my normal 100 watt heat globe broke so i thought id temporarily replace it with a normal 60 watt house globe. hot spot was at like 33 which is cold right. so she stopped moving and eating. then i put in my ceramic heat emitter and the hot spot was in the low 40's. and she still wont eat or move except when i put her on the floor. i turned off the heating and now the coldest spot is in the early 30's. is this too hot and is this why she wont eat or move? thanks

Basking Spot: 38oC
Hot End- ~30oC
Cold End- 25oC

33oC sounds fine... Maybe something else is wrong possibly Parasites?
Take the beardie to the vet and get them to do a check over, Take a fecal sample and get them to test it. The best way to get a fresh fecal sample is....Hopefully when the bearded excretes to collect it within 12 hours and place inside 2 plastic bags(one bag with the feces in another bag). My bearded dragon that did this same thing was won from a DECCW Ballot and had an Abscess, so check for any lumps.etc, He recovered and is eating like a machine now. Hope all goes well.

Basking Spot: 38oC
Hot End- ~30oC
Cold End- 25oC

33oC sounds fine... Maybe something else is wrong possibly Parasites?
Take the beardie to the vet and get them to do a check over, Take a fecal sample and get them to test it. The best way to get a fresh fecal sample is....Hopefully when the bearded excretes to collect it within 12 hours and place inside 2 plastic bags(one bag with the feces in another bag). My bearded dragon that did this same thing was won from a DECCW Ballot and had an Abscess, so check for any lumps.etc, He recovered and is eating like a machine now. Hope all goes well.

i let him walk around my floor today and managed to do a poo except it was really weird. the size of a pea and a darkish yellow. i dont know if its the heat or what but shes just lying in his basking spot with his eyes half closed. shes usually alot more alert and upright. the cold end seems alot higher than usual

Hmmm..atleast you know he/she? is not bound up/constipated... What was the last thing he/she ate? To me it seems although, its not the heat thats causing this. Most probably its something else, because if you raise the heat, in a few days they should be actice, eating.etc but if they are still not you should really take the mt othe vet.

Hmmm..atleast you know he/she? is not bound up/constipated... What was the last thing he/she ate? To me it seems although, its not the heat thats causing this. Most probably its something else, because if you raise the heat, in a few days they should be actice, eating.etc but if they are still not you should really take the mt othe vet.
a few large crickets. shes never ever refused to eat anything. she ate her own skin one day :| im going to buy the globe that ive had her on since ive had her and see if that helps.

Man, easiest way to good health in my opinion, is get some spark (electrolyte fluid) and a 10ml syringe.

follow the directions on the bottle and get some fluid into them. small hard poop (along with really wrinkly skin) in my experience is dehydration. Hows their skin look?

Can you get some pics up mate? To be honest, it really doesn't sound like just the globe.

It does sound like dehydration like otomix said,i would give him a bath mate and he will have a drink and a good soak and be good as new.
Try offering him fresh greens and fruit in the mornings before insects this will also help keep them hydrated.
Also leaving the basking light on all day can dehydrate them and stress them3 hours in the morn and 3 hours late arvo might also help.

Man, easiest way to good health in my opinion, is get some spark (electrolyte fluid) and a 10ml syringe.

follow the directions on the bottle and get some fluid into them. small hard poop (along with really wrinkly skin) in my experience is dehydration. Hows their skin look?

Can you get some pics up mate? To be honest, it really doesn't sound like just the globe.
her poop had no black insect shells like id expect. it was really weird and there was no white in it. her skin looks fine to me but ill get some pics up tomorrow

It does sound like dehydration like otomix said,i would give him a bath mate and he will have a drink and a good soak and be good as new.
Try offering him fresh greens and fruit in the mornings before insects this will also help keep them hydrated.
Also leaving the basking light on all day can dehydrate them and stress them3 hours in the morn and 3 hours late arvo might also help.
i spray her at least once a day and now more reguarly cause i thought it might be dehydration as well. she sits there and takes it but dosent seem to drink it. im all out of bok choy. what are some fruits that i can give her that i might have handy? thanks for that

If they are too dehydrated it is somtimes hard to get them drinking.
Try the bath or hold it calmely with its nose in a container of water he shold drink.
If not just l leave him in the bath for 20 mins then some sunlight then try spraying and dripping water over his mouth.
I feed mine thin orange slices as a treat or bannana apple,grapes,cucumber ect
If none of this helps take him to the vet as it could be a parrasite more likely if you feed wild caught food ?

If they are too dehydrated it is somtimes hard to get them drinking.
Try the bath or hold it calmely with its nose in a container of water he shold drink.
If not just l leave him in the bath for 20 mins then some sunlight then try spraying and dripping water over his mouth.
I feed mine thin orange slices as a treat or bannana apple,grapes,cucumber ect
If none of this helps take him to the vet as it could be a parrasite more likely if you feed wild caught food ?
i dont see why she should be too dehydrated but ill try the bathing one. she dosent seem like to like water and just jump out of the container =\ all her food is bought from a pet store. i bought care of australian reptiles in captivity the other day and im reading up on all the internal parasites possible as she dosent seem to have and ticks or absysses on her.

How old is the beardie?

Take her outside for some fresh air and sunlight, drop some water on the top of her mouth and she will drink it..or use a spray bottle and lightly spray her, my babies love that and they drink the droplets hehe
My older beardie goes crazyy for blueberries, you can also try banana, nectarine, strawberries
Spray the bok choy with water aswell, to keep the water up if she isnt drinking

she just turned a year :)
and shes my first so i dont really want her in bad shape. i do spray her and place droplets on the tip of her nose and she dosent seem to drink them either. im more worried about heating. like what temps should i have her at in her state and also for how long? help would be great thanks

She should have a 40C basking spot.
Do you give her calcium etc with her woodies/crickets? Does she get enough UV?

yeh i usually do im just worried it might be a bit much for her now.
yup calcium usually every second feed. i have a 10.0 uvb which says it reaches up to 50 cm and she can get within about 20-30 cm of it

yeh i usually do im just worried it might be a bit much for her now.
yup calcium usually every second feed. i have a 10.0 uvb which says it reaches up to 50 cm and she can get within about 20-30 cm of it
Is that the only light she has?

Is that the only light she has?
i had her on a 2.0 uva fluorescent globe as well for about a month or so but a breeder i usually go to said its too strong and it could potentially blind/give her skin cancer :S so i took it off

ok things seem to be getting worse. i put her on a 100 watt heat globe and all shes doing is lying in her basking spot with her eyes closed. she seems to be asleep because when i pick her up it takes her a while to open her eyes. i offered her vegies sprayed with water and she hsant touched them. i offered her crickets and she wouldnt look at them. i dipper her head in water and she seemed to take a little sip but then it looked like she feel asleep :| and she only woke up when i turned my hand upside to look at her belly. i need some help :| maybe on forcefeeding water or food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back