Lethargic Water Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Mason

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
My Female Gippsland Water Dragon is behaving rather uncharacteristically.
I came home from work today and she is very lethargic and sitting half in her pond.
Her eyes are looking very watery - besides that she looks normal but does not seem to have any energy and is having trouble moving around.
She is about 5 years old and housed with a male.
Normally if this happened to one of my lizards for a day I wouldn't worry too much about it and just keep an eye on her for a few days to see how things go but.... last year one of my other females was behaving the same way for a day and the next day I found her dead in her enclosure. I took the dead dragon to the vet for an autopsy but he couldn't say definitively what the casue was.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on and what I should do to help her immediately?
I have taken her out of her enclosure and put her in a spare, clean enclosure with newspaper and a water bowl.
She does not look gravid but I have put a nesting box in there as well just in case this is the problem and she is just stessed out from being in with the male. I don't think this is it because she is not nearly bulging enough to be gravid but then again, stranger things have happened.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated ASAP.

Cheers,
Doug

I guess its possible but she's in an indoor enclosure with thermostatically controlled heating and really good ventilation so it generally doesn't get too hot in there. Then again, I was out all day and had no air conditioner going so it's possible the overall temp of the house got quite high.
The male is fine, in fact he was hanging out in the hottest part of the cage when I got home.

was pretty warm today, got to a bit over 40 in my herp room.

She just didi a very strange light brown coloured poo which makes me think maybe its something she has eaten. About 5 days ago i fed her and the male some slighthly larger than average pinkie rats (close to velvets). They were meant to get one each coz thats a boig feed for them in one sitting but she stole the male's one and therefore got two.
Maybe her digestive system is having touble coping.
Does anyone know anything I can try to give her a boost and help her pass whats in her guts?

not sure, apart from warmth and plenty to drink it might just be a waiting game

mine went through a stage like that , i dunno what it was but i put him in the bath (warm) with rocks and stuff for a few hours and fed him more fruit and veg and at end of week he was energetic

Perhaps she has swallowed some substrate which has caused an intestinal blockage. Or perhaps she has a worm infestation, which can easily go un-noticed in dragons.

Haven't been on the site for a while.
After a couple of days of rest she came back to herself again.
She is running around and eating like normal again.
I think it must have just been too much rat in too short a time!!
Cheers for everyones help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back