:( levis died

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xr8t3d

Reaction score
just after some information guys
i got two levis last wekk now one died two days ago been eating well and temps and everything were right i just thought okay must have been its time :S
but to be safe moved the other one into a diferent box just to be sure so no contamination from the dead one ,
woke up this morning and hes dead. looks like hes been eaten, like there is a hole in the side of him and a chunk out of his leg and nose now there is nothing in the cage besides a few woodies and some crickets
so my first question is would they have eaten him after he died

could this have been some sort of thing inside it eating out umm

or did he get eaten buy his food

:( they were 8 months old and i only have had them 8 days :S

any help ???:cry:

Sorry, to hear about your loss.

I've heard that crickets can eat their way out if the animal hasn't chewed them up properly and they swallow them whole. Also, I've heard that the crickets can nibble on bits of your geckos or lizards, but I always used to keep a piece of carrot in the enclosure just in case some crickets were missed.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way :(

Let this not be in vain others may learn from your sad misfortune

Adult crickets are like pirhanas when there's small geckos or lizards around

eat there way out :S
i had no idea
there so small and the levis are so much bigger who would have thought **** okay
well i have put carrot in the other tank with my dragons and millis is thee anything else i should ddo so that somthing like this dose not happen again

Just another thought. Are you feeding the correct size cricket? I was told a good rule of thumb is that the prey should be the size of the distance between the eyes of the gecko/lizard.

I've heard that crickets can eat their way out if the animal hasn't chewed them up properly.
Absolute rubbish.

There's good chance that the woodies and/or crickets nibbled on your gecko after it was dead, and maybe even before... I have seen woodies strip a rat down to a skeleton (mate's snake refused it so we put it in the woodie's tub..)

Sorry for your loss.

What sized levis were they? and what sized crickets were you feeding??? I have bred tonnes of levis, and never had a hatchy that was eating "just die". Can you describe, or even better put up some pics of your enclosure and heating methods ect.. Geckos shouldn't be worries too much by crickets, as they are both nocturnal and a gecko won't sit in torpor and let a cricket eat it as a Bearded Dragon will, though madium to large crickets will overpower a new hatchy but know one in their right mind would have those sized crickets in with a hatchy gecko. Did the geckos have fat tails? run around Ok ect.. I have seen small geckos (not levis) choke on prey items, but it's not overly common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back