Light help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyric

Reaction score
Just recently I bought a new python, tank, lights, heating and all for one good deal from someone wishing to sell their only snake (insane isn't it.. apparently people can get bored of keeping snakes :O). And not long after receiving everything the light in his tank has stopped working :( Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a replacement light so decided to use a spare bulb from my other tank - I know this bulb is working. But after screwing it into the other light fitting I realise I was given no instructions on how I would turn a bulb in that fitting on... And have no idea how to... Yes I'm aware this is a stupid question, but given the pics below would anyone have any idea for how I'd turn the light on??

P1000806.jpg
The light at the front is the one I need working
Tank.jpg
The only switch (not counting the heater) is on the left hand side of the tank. This is for the main, and blown, bulb.

Bazil.jpg
And just cause I could here's one of Bazil

Yes, this light will be a temporary thing. But for the Easter weekend and a couple days after I'm going away and while he's being babysat I'd like him to have a working light for that time before i can get a new one

Any help would be great =\

Last edited:
, how many plugs do you have to plug in? from what i can see there would be 3 plugs, one for thermostat (that the ceramic plugs into , one for the long fluro, one for the light globe. If you've only got two plugs then maybe the cut the wire for the small globe ??
hard to say without seeing all sides. is it maybe wired to the ceramic, so they're both on at the same time

sorry, i didnt read that it was working at one point, try a different globe in it, you may have blown the replacement one too, in which case you have a major wiring issue.

Last edited:
can't see with the pictures you got up especially with that white stuff (insulation perhaps?) sitting on top the enclosure, you said not long after getting everything the light stopped working.....how did you turn it on before?

easy way to find out if there is a switch is follow the wiring, good luck with it

On the top of the tank is his pillow case, the previous owner gave it to me so i just keep it there. The tank itself is bare on the outside except for the light switch for the main light. I turned it on before because the light was working when I first got it. Now its stopped.

And there is only one plug

One plug, running a ceramic, thermostat , long fluoro, and the small globe :shock:, my money is on burnt out/dodgy wiring. Find an electrician.

PS, ive just noticed the powerboard on the floor, try plugging the tank straight into the wall or an extension cord. i've had a single socket blow on a powerboard before, switched to another socket on the same powerboard and its all good..... still dont like the thought of everything in the tank running off one plug though. ! !

Last edited:
no the small globe is what I;m trying to get working, normally there is the heater and long fluoro only

I don't want to leave him with no light for a week =\

so if you only have one plug, shouldnt they all be working at the same time ?? or am i getting confused LOL

sorry i really should slow down when i read ...............

And not long after receiving everything the light in his tank has stopped working

Mind you a comma would have helped ! , so the ceramic and the long fluro are still working, just the small globe has stopped ?

Last edited:
That was my thought... but the heater is working fine.. the small globe though is not..

The fluoro looks like it should've blown long ago... don't think the tanks been very well cared for. Had to give it a really good scrub when I first got it too

No the fluoro has stopped. that was the only light in there. So i put the small globe in to replace it for the week that I'm gone and he's being babysat

if you re-test the small globe in another fitting and it works then i'd be checking the wiring from the small batten holder to wherever it links into, from what i can see the wire heads into the ceramic heater.

The small globe works fine, I tested it before I tried putting it in his tank..

maybe try a new batten fluoro, but its sounding more and more like dodgy wiring, and your bargain buy is about to cost some $$ i'm thinking.

hang on i'll see if i can find some of the resident sparkies to give their opinion on what might have happened..........

=\ Any advice on what to do about his lack of light for the week?

hang around for awhile, i've just PM'd a online member, lets see if he can help.....

happy to try and help but i know my limits :) electricity and me have an agreement..... i dont touch it , it doesnt hurt me !

here comes the cavalry Yipee...... thanks snow. I'll go make coffee while you read up..... white with two for you two ? :lol:

Last edited:
The light appears to be wired directly off the ceramic heater fitting. So when the heater is on the light will turn on. Stupid way to do it.
That compact won't work if you have a dimming or pulse proportional thermostat. An on off will have it turning on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back