Liscense requirements for RSP in Victoria?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KristianG

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So yeah, does anyone know what the requirement are to keep a Rough Scaled Python in Victoria. When I tried to find it on the website it was no good. I really like the look of them and I would like to get one a bit later on in life. Help is appreciated.

They are on advanced. It costs about $150 each year and you can have up to ten of the one species of you so desired. :)

Being an owner of a couple of RSP's, I've never really understood the reasoning behind them being on an advanced licence. They are carpet pythons with rough scales.

I have heard/read somewhere that the DSE is considering moving them down to a basic licence though.

I hope so; I have one and she is delightful; such a little sweetie I cannot recommend them enough - they are worth having an advanced license for, but I don't understand why it is necessary (or with Woma's for that matter since they are just a different coloured BHP anyway).

They are on advanced. It costs about $150 each year and you can have up to ten of the one species of you so desired. :)

You are right on the licence catagory and cost, BUT you are wrong on the last bit, you can have as many as you like!

Any new additions to the schedule in Vic are always under the advanced licence! Weird yes but hey we are talking about Victoria's licence system.

Last edited:
I believe I was told at one stage that womas are on an advanced license as they are threatened, and so an advanced license, in theory, makes them less likely to be poached. In reality, I don' t think that's the case.

Could this be the same for RSP's?

I don't think many people have the resources to go poach RSPs. DSE need something to make them money a basic license is about half the price of an advanced, if all the easy to keep desired pythons were on basic they'd reduce their income as only elapid keepers would have to pay more and they're a much smaller group.

Thanks everybody, I have heard lots of good things about them so I think it's safe to say I will get one sooner or later

Being an owner of a couple of RSP's, I've never really understood the reasoning behind them being on an advanced licence. They are carpet pythons with rough scales.
Yeah I don't get that either, as far as I know they pretty much puppies in terms of personality.

You are right on the licence catagory and cost, BUT you are wrong on the last bit, you can have as many as you like!

Just looked at the license conditions again. The 10 rule only applies to emus. :)

Yes, in Victoria you need an advanced license to keep roughies.

Does anyone know if you can get a advanced license in Victoria before the age of 18? If so how could I apply for one?

Yes, in Victoria you need an advanced license to keep roughies.

Does anyone know if you can get a advanced license in Victoria before the age of 18? If so how could I apply for one?

Yes you can, you just can't keep vens unless you can show you are competent in there handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back