Litoria Infrafrenata presenting spots - getting progressively darker

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedodds

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

About a month ago I took the leap and bought a 45x45x90 exoterra setup from Upmarket pets in Melbourne. It was already setup, so I just had to take it back, whack in some fresh water, give the filter a clean, and away I went. At teh same time I bought a juvenile White Lipped tree frog which was bright green - a very healthy looking specimen.

That was about a month ago. About 4 days in he slowly changed to a light brown colour and has stayed that way ever since. As of a bout a week a go he started presenting a few little dark brown spots, somewhat like large freckles. These spots have slowly darkened and more have appeared. Now, he's still feeding well, hasn't lost any weight and looks relatively healthy. Doesn't seem to be panting (read a bit about that fungus that presents with leopard spots), but I'm not sure. I have seemed to have found conflicting info abotu the spots. Some people say it's natural, and others refer to that article. Just wondering if anyone else can put their 2c worth in. Oh and his feet dont seem to be blotchy or red.

I also have some young Green Tree Frogs, of which one, seems to sit with hit mouth open a bit the past day. Ever since i got him, it seems as if his mouth didn't close properly (although he can close it). Not sure what this is. He seems to be panting though.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I apologise for the crappy pictures, I'll take some decent onces tomorrow and post.

(He seems a little redder because of the heat lamp above)

Last edited:
The colour change and the spots are probably natural, these frogs can go from bright breed to dark brown within minutes but they usually stay green at night provided there are no lights on. This infrafrenata is a wild frog, it changed colour in very short time.

The gaping frog is bit of a worry.

i would say you have nothing to worry about. white lips generally develop spots or a mottled look to them. i just had a look at a couple of mine and ones green with spots and ones brown, they change all the time. in regards to gaping it could be shedding, either way i wouldnt stress

cheers for the info so far :) I coat the crickets i feed them in calcium powerdy stuff i've got, but he always seemed to gape a tiny bit ever since i got him... should i try putting some more powder on the crickets i give him?

No, such calcium issues are driven by fast growth rates that are in turn driven by heating / poor amounts of food. Allow the frog to have a constant amount of food available 24/7, heat only for 12 - 15 hours a day. The problem with it is that now that it's started the deformation may hinder it from eating the amount it needs... so try hand feeding it as much as it can eat daily / twice daily with tweezers ect. Calcium powders may help to some degree, but like UV lights it isn't a magic bullet that will make all better again.

I keep my frogs in the office, they get natural lighting during the day being in a well-lit open-plan office, next to windows, but out of direct sunlight. I've got an exoterra 55w reptiglow which I've had on for about 3 weeks. I assumed I should keep the heat lamp on them 24/7 no? Office is kept at around 24-25 degrees but tends to drop at night. I turn off the UV globe (non heat) when i head home from work at around 6pm; turning it back on about 9:30 in the morning. Should i be turning off the heat lamp at night?

As you live in Melbourne and i don't, I will leave your heating options for you to work out, but try to maintain these temps as best you can Day = 25 - 28deg, Night = 15 - 18 deg. (note; The frog won't be effected in a cold snap, most reptiles can handle very cold conditions for short periods, but very cold temperatures over a long time will have an effect)

After giving the little guy a feed, he seems to have stop gaping. Will keep an eye on it though. Seems to eat plenty though and doesn't hinder his eating ability.

Seems like i should be turning off the heat lamp at night. Wonder if that's what's been affecting the mood of the big guy. I'll give it a go over next few days and see if anything happens. Cheers for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back