Little Whip Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

junglepython2

Hi all, wondering if anyone has owned the little whip snake either currently or in the past and what they thought of them. Also has anyone had them feeding on anything other then skinks or geckos??

Thanks

my first snake was a little whip . i caught it when i was looking for skinks and spiders and frogs as little kids do, (no kid should grow up without a bugcatcher )i fed it skinks which it ate regularly..

I had a pair of Suta dwyeri many years ago, both would take skinks ever so gently from my fingers, they were awesome.

Does anyone breed whips in sydney?

thanks for the replies keep them coming

anyone breed in melb?

I have kept them in pre-protection days from such granite areas as the You Yangs, Mt. Gellibrand and Mt. Beckwith, but never for long as it was always a chore catching skinks. Lovely little snakes. Now of course feeding skinks is not on, and neither is collecting LWSs from the wild, especially as two of the above localities are now parks!

I'd be interested to see if they'd convert to take pinkies as adults, but what would you start them off on if you did breed them?

Pete.

Hi pete thats exactly what I'm trying to find out :lol:

Re: RE: Little Whip Snake

Is your in QLD and they will take Asian House geckos, feeding wouldnt be too hard.

Matt

PeterM said:
I have kept them in pre-protection days from such granite areas as the You Yangs, Mt. Gellibrand and Mt. Beckwith, but never for long as it was always a chore catching skinks. Lovely little snakes. Now of course feeding skinks is not on, and neither is collecting LWSs from the wild, especially as two of the above localities are now parks!

I'd be interested to see if they'd convert to take pinkies as adults, but what would you start them off on if you did breed them?

Pete.

RE: Re: RE: Little Whip Snake

I had little whips in melbourne, Picked them up from the Mansfield area one day when i had to go there with my sister and her marching group. Same experience as most others. i bred weasel skinks so food was plentiful.

A friend of mine kept them for quite a while, they are lovely little snakes, very calm and docile (although wild ones readily musk). Great feeders on live or thawed skinks, very cute little things, I must admit I really loved them, but I've never been tempted to keep them because of the feeding issues. I don't know of any taking pinkies (I know a couple of people who have tried fairly persistantly without success), they might take geckoes, but I'm not sure how well they would go in the warmer climates up north. Not really the species most well suited to captivity, but if you're keen, have fun :) There are oodles of them in the wild in and around Melbourne, many times I've seen dozens of them within an hour or so.

Yeah I occasionally see them at my place maybe a couple a year, always little ones, there a gorgeous snake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back