Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alaslim

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I found this lizard under a pile of wood i moved at my house this arvo. What is it? Im guessing a dragon of some sort?

Attachments

• DSCF3685.jpg
    DSCF3685.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 171
Looks like an Eastern water dragon

Last edited:
The EWD that took up residence on/around my back patio had disappeared for winter but re-appeared after the recent rainfall coated in wet sandy soil (as seen below).
She was only around for a couple of days then disappeared again.
Hopefully she is happily hibernating again.

Attachments

• Lizzie 21st May 2009.jpg
    Lizzie 21st May 2009.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Lizzie - 21 May 2009.jpg
    Lizzie - 21 May 2009.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Lizzie 21.05.2009.jpg
    Lizzie 21.05.2009.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 58
The EWD that took up residence on/around my back patio had disappeared for winter but re-appeared after the recent rainfall coated in wet sandy soil (as seen below).
She was only around for a couple of days then disappeared again.
Hopefully she is happily hibernating again.

Is that a Gippsland Water Dragon , or are they the same as eastern ones.

Is that a Gippsland Water Dragon , or are they the same as eastern ones.

There are two subspecies; Physignathus lesueurii lesueurii (Eastern Water Dragon) and P. l. howitti (Gippsland Water Dragon). P. l. lesueurii tends towards white, yellow and red on the throat and possesses a dark band behind its eye; P. l. howitti lacks this and instead has dark bands on either side of its throat, which is blotched with yellow, orange, or blue. Both subspecies are light greenish grey in overall color with black bands running across their back, tail and legs.

The one in the photo is the EWD

So what's happened to it, alaslim?

It has been disturbed from it's winter retreat. I would have covered it back over.

Thank You for this comment as it made me think!!!

I do my best to protect my resident EWD, Lizzie, and her family

except for making a safe hibernating spot for her.

I will now start planning a new log and rock garden at the base of my old jacaranda tree but will not start till after I see her next set of babies otherwise I may disturb her or her kids if they are somewhere there. :D

Also need to wait before bringing up old bits of wood as there may be something already living under it that I may disturb.

Will post photos next year after it is all done. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back