Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some advice on my next lizzy to keep. Right now i keep beardies, thick tails, a spotted and frogs so i'm not completely new but i have a spare 3 footer and would like some advice. I know of lots of different species, but would like you guys to pitch in your experiences with lizards that suit my needings. Ok i live in victoria and i have a basic wildlife licence. I have a 3 foot cage by 1.5 by 1.5, it has a 10.0 uv light 24" long. (any of the lighting etc can be removed or anything can be added) I have a 10 to 30c thermo with 2 heat light fittings. I would like something that is interactive, but something a little more exotic than a bearded dragon. I would like something active, e.g not like a blue tongue. Also i love nicely coloured lizards. I don't have a budget i will save until i have enough once i make my decision. I would not like to have to upgrade to a bigger tank so preferably something that fits in my dimensions. I would like it to be fairly placid too. I had painted dragons, netted's in mind but would like to hear from an experienced person's side of view. Cheers guys

maybe some gilleni monitors or some ackies although u would have to upgrade quite quickly for the ackies.

I would go with either some pink tongues or some rock dragons. There are red-barred dragons on herp trader at the moment i believe and they are HOT as adults and dead easy to keep.

wats a mulga. do u mean gilleni's???? but if u want to handle, they're not for you. maybe some central netteds

wats a mulga. do u mean gilleni's???? but if u want to handle, they're not for you. maybe some central netteds

Mulga is a type of acacia. Do you mean Litoria gilleni? :lol: I would suggust going for Varanus gilleni awesome little critters well suited to an enclosure that size, almost bullet proof if you provide a hot basking spot.

yeah, but how do they go handling cris? Can you tame them out to a certain point? Cheers guys i'm putting all ideas into consideration. And how much would i pick a hatchie pygmy mulga up for?

Depends. I have seen them for 400 but that is a bit pricey I mean an adult male goes for 395.

wait. wats a pygmy mulga. is that just a varanus gilleni???

as they r quite small, they aren't close to beardies as far as handling goes

yeah, but how do they go handling cris? Can you tame them out to a certain point? Cheers guys i'm putting all ideas into consideration. And how much would i pick a hatchie pygmy mulga up for?

They are too small, fast and squirmy to handle IMO but they seem to adjust really well to people and interact well on a no touching basis. 99% of lizards arnt suited to handling. Pygmy Mulga Monitors are usually around $250 plus or minus around $50. That said they arnt available that easily, lizard breeders dont tend to rip people off as much as snake breeders and you ofen have to look around and wait rather than just paying a stupid amount.

wait. wats a pygmy mulga. is that just a varanus gilleni???

as they r quite small, they aren't close to beardies as far as handling goes

Yeah a Pygmy Mulga Monitor is called Varanus gilleni. Wasnt having a go at you in the above post, it just gets a bit confusing when people start using small parts of a name that can fit heaps of differant species.

I brought 3 juvi netteds and they are pretty cool funny little things. That size setup would be alright for em. Monitors are cool and very interesting, they generaly take a long time to gain trust in u, years even.. but I find this more rewarding. I'd be getting a bigger monitor if I were u, they can handle better when mature and use this setup while it's a young hatchie. Netteds are kinda tame at times with being held but if u want somthing that you'll never get bored of go get a decent monitor. Up to you

Alright thanks guys, im starting to lean towards a netted or painted as i first mentioned, maybe not a monitor right now. Anyone know much about painted's? Are they handleable, social?? Cheers

I'd be getting a bigger monitor if I were u, they can handle better when mature and use this setup while it's a young hatchie. Netteds are kinda tame at times with being held but if u want somthing that you'll never get bored of go get a decent monitor. Up to you

Fair call. I think most people would advise at least 1 small monitor species first, but it's not like it's your first lizard, and they don't get big over night... You've got dragons, geckoes, frogs and an Antaresia, do yourself a favour and get a small monitor. As James says, you will not get bored. You can still have occasional minimal handling of an adult Storr's without scarring the thing for life, but mostly they are just amazing to watch as they go about their business, especially feeding. A Storr's or Pygmy Mulga will do fine in that size enclosure and there are some (Gillens) on the 2nd page of RDU for $250.

Eastern Water Skinks are active look good n are easy to care for :)

Haha I'd expect you to write that jess! Cheers shortstuff, ill have a good look at both storrs and gillens and ill try and make a decision. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back