Location of probe thermostat probe?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 270

Reaction score
I am setting up a tub for the Childreni I'm picking up Monday. I have been told that the baes of the tub must be in contact with the heat mat but if I put the probe between the heat mat and the tub, they are no longer in contact. The heat mat is larger than the tub. So I was thinking that I could tape the probe to the heat mat next to the tub. Is this OK to do? Or is there a better solution?

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Wombat, the probe needs to be inside the container itself. I'd have it placed right in the centre, with the thermostat set at 27-28 degrees.

Also, have the heat mat under half of the container, not the entire container. This will help create a thermal gradient.

Wombat, in addition to what ST said I cannot stress highly enough do NOT use any sort of sticky tape anywhere inside a snake enclosure. Sticky tape will cause you serious problems. I once had a hatchie get caught up in a band-aid and still has the scars to this day. My vet has so many horror stories about snakes and "sticky tape". JMO

Whats a thermostat?, the probe sounds fun thou.

Thanks sepenttounge. What I am worried about is the wire going in through the lid maybe creating a way for the hatchie to escape. Afro told me yesterday to have the hot end at 30 degrees. I new about the half on half off with the container on the heat mat.

olivehydra, I had no intention of using sticky tape inside the container but it is a timely reminder for other newbies reading this thread. :)

Mate, if your type of tub is the plastic aquarium type then it will probably have a hole in the lid for the aerator hose. This hole will probably take the probe from the stat so just poke it through there and make sure it is in contact with the base of the tub. you can place a rock or a hide or something on top of the bulb to ensure that it remains in contact with the base.

wombat said:
Afro told me yesterday to have the hot end at 30 degrees.

Right. And if the probe is in the middle of the container and set at 27-28 degrees, then the warm end should be 30 degrees(or very close to it).

If you cut a hole in the lid for the probe to go through i would make the hole as small as possible and then just tape it up from the outside of the lid. Or, once the probe is through the hole just tape around the probes cable until it's diameter/circumference?? gets bigger and will fit into the hole more snug. Make sense? :?

I've just got off the phone to Afro confirming that tomorrow is OK. He expanded on his reply, and together with your reply, I think I have it worked out. Thanks for the reply.

My opinion is that the remote probe of the thermometer (not the thermostat) should go as close as possible to where the snake would be when on the heat source. The probe from the thermostat should be near there as well. That way you get an accurate idea of what the maximum temperature is for the snake at the heat source, which, in my opinion, is the critical issue. If you use a dual thermometer (cheap from Dick Smith), with the main unit at one end and the remote probe at the heat source you will know the total range of temperature in the enclosure. JMHO for other newbies! ;-)

I was asking about the thermostat probe. I think I have everything sorted out now. :) And yes, I also have a duel readout thermometer with both probs set up in the right locations. Afro can correct me later today when I see him if I'm wrong.

Pics of Childreni will be posted tomorrow, not today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back