Long time fan, first time snake owner #2

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laffboy

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Hi all,

Firstly I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the people who answered my first post about Medusa and let you know that we have taken all your advice on board and at the moment we aren't trying to handle or feed her until she gets used to her new home and owners.

Just a couple of further queries though...

1: The guy I got Medusa from is a very experienced snake handler, he has a huge collection of both snakes (venomous and non, and yes, he's licensed for both) and other assorted reptiles. When I spoke to him about Medusa's vomiting of her mouse, he said that when temperatures drop, snakes won't eat because they need heat to digest the food, and if they've eaten something and then the temperature drops, they will regurgitate it to stop it going rotten inside them (makes sense to me). He also said though, that she may not eat again until spring, and that some snakes can go up to a year without eating. Having said that, all of his snakes are kept outside.

Everyone I've spoken to has said that we shouldn't handle her until she is eating regularly.

Does this mean that we will have to wait up to 9 months to handle her?

Will this be negative in her being handled eventually? (She doesn't hurt much when she bites now, but if she gets much bigger it's really going to.)

2: She is very active at night. During the day she sleeps up in a high perch (hidden from us), but at night she loves to come out and explore, and actually spends a lot of time looking at us through the glass and she actually seems to enjoy being down the end of her enclosure where she can see us (but this is maybe wishful thinking on my behalf, that she is hanging out with us).

Should I feed her at night when she is awake rather than trying to wake her up during the day to feed?

And if so, considering the earlier point I made about temperature and feeding, should I get a heat mat for her to digest the food? Her tank is not heated, I have a 40 watt ReptiLight sun globe which I put on during the day, but she has a large tank (133cm long x 50cm deep x 100cm high). I have lined it with recycled newspaper pellets and was considering putting a heat mat under the pellets and putting her artificial rock "cave" hide over it.

I've tried to research this on the net, but I keep getting conflicting answers. I'm sorry to be such a n00b, but I'm just trying to do whats best for my girl.

Thanks again,
Steve.

I myself am very new to keeping reptiles and have not seen your other thread at all but when comes time to try and feed her again i would try deffinately of a night IMO you may be stressing her out by waking her up to try and feed her so wait until the night when shes out and about as for the other questions someone more experienced will have to answer :)
Gata1

i would say it is his snake :)

And i would try and get some temps for enclosure because that could be problem maybe??

i would say it is his snake :)

And i would try and get some temps for enclosure because that could be problem maybe??

Thanks for that. What sort of temp advice are you going to offer if you don't know what sort of python it is?

She will still need day time heat - which you are providing.
You do need to make sure it is the right temp though.
The size of your tank sounds quite large, and, if its glass, they are notorious for not holding the heat very well.

What type of carpet is Medusa? Required day time temps can vary slightly between the different types.

Some people will use a temperature probe to keep a tab on the temps, or you can plug it into a thermostat. Some (like us) use careful selection of the bulb wattage to make sure we are getting the correct temps. You may be able to use a higher wattage bulb to get the temps up? IF thats what is needed? The lowest bulb we run is a 50watt, and they are in enclosures roughly half the size of yours.

We have an Infra-red Temperature Gun (we got it from Bunnings) to check the temps at any time. Definitely worth having.
If you keep the correct temps up to her over winter, she should eat for you.

Last edited:
Maybe you should chuck a heatpad in there for her.for the heat for her to digest,my jungle spend 2 whole days after eating not moving off her heatpad.i am fairly new to all this as wellbut i do know heat is very important.

I agree temp is the most important thing. But I would also say "yes" to feeding at night... it is when they are awake. Do get a thermometer it is very important to get it right. As for handling... it really is best to wait for 3-4 consecutive successful feeds as handling simply adds to your snakes stress.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. What sort of temp advice are you going to offer if you don't know what sort of python it is?
I dont know im sorry for trying to help (in my limited knowledge, as am new) a person thats asked for help

Last edited:
Required
1. Pic of snake including enclosure
2. Age
3. Temps both ends
One of my spotteds regurged a rat, my guess a bit big for him (moving him up), I left him alone for a couple of days then fed him at old size, all good.
Main thing is, don't stress. You're doing the right thing and asking a forum that has a wealth of knowledge collectively.
Most pythons are very hardy.
Most people here say the following:
1. When you get new snake, at whatever age, best thing to do is introduce it to its new home and leave alone for at least a week.
2. Try and feed after week
3. Wait 48 hours after eating before handling. My suggestion would be to handle 1 day prior to next feeding day (for new snakes).
4. Maintain enclosure as regular as required

As long as temps are right and water is provided, I wouldn't worry too much.
If you are genuinely worried for the snakes health, the only obvious thing to mention is taking it to a vet. To be sure...to be sure.
Get some books (if you haven't) and read all about your snake. Google.
PM me for info on good books to look at.

All the best with your herping. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back