Look what followed me home... from Burma :shock:

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristy_07

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This is Murphy!

Murphy is a Burmese python. At the moment, she's about 3.5 foot long, but stockier than most morelia at home that would be the same length. She the thickness of a carrot or your big toe around the middle (approx). I'd say she's between 1 - 2 years, as she is quite small, but probably has only been fed every 2 or 3 months since hatching. It's very hard to tell. (If anyone else has any other thoughts, please share!)

I also don't know if "she's" a girl, but I'm going to run with it.

She's placid as a lamb at the moment, but didn't come from very nice conditions beforehand, so will be interesting to see if her temperament changes once she is being kept in nicer conditions with me, with some of the mod cons like her previous owners couldn't provide, like, you know, water and food.

I imagine she may just be a nice-tempered snake, though. I think the nasty, bitey ones would end up pretty quickly in a hot pot!!

I've got her in a temp enclosure at the moment (a big dark box with hides and water) and she really seemed to appreciate the dark and quiet. When I picked her up she was in a 10" squared chicken wire cage, on top of a cage with a baby macaque that kept poking her, because it was bored senseless, too. It was sad to see, but it's just the way it is here.

Sorry for iPhone pics, but she was totally exhausted after her trip up from Saigon, and seemed a bit stressy. I let her have a roam around and a stretch (after being in a transport box) for about 30mins until she settled on that chair and seemed to have had enough, and didn't have the heart to put her through a flash photo shoot, as well. (I think my PJs in the background add a nice touch of colour and contrast, don't you?)

She's in good condition - almost no retained shed, only a scale or two here and there, looks like she's shed fairly recently (colours are bright), no scars. But she's pretty dehydrated. She has water now, and I'll bathe her tonight, after a day of rest in the dark & quiet. Otherwise she looks lovely. I won't be feeding her for a couple of weeks.

The same lady also had Tokays and tortoises (not sure what type), so if I want to expand to exotic collection..... :D

photo5-1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo6.jpg

Nice one Kristy, what are you going to do with her when you return home?

I figured it would be one of the first Qs asked, Michael :)

In all honesty, I haven't decided what the most responsible thing to do will be. Zoos here are awful, and morally, I'm not sure I could bring myself to put her in one.

Obviously, I won't be releasing her anywhere.

The ex-pat community is pretty big, and heaps of Americans and Europeans, so I may be able to find someone who's capable of keeping her and knows what they're doing with a big snake.

Alternatively, I've thought about trying to find somewhere with better conditions, even if it's out of country (or even Asia) and see if she can be a demo or breeding snake somewhere nice.

I promise, I will be responsible with the decision of what to do with her when I return home. I wouldn't have taken her on if I wasn't prepared for that part of it. But right now, on day one of owning her, I'm just not exactly sure what the best option will be.

:D Its good that you have a scaly friend over there now although, like Waterrat, my first thought was, what will you do with her when you come home....

but lets not think about that for the moment ;)

She is lovely, congrats :D

Michelle

It's a situation I was always aware of, and already considering before I left home ;) A good home will be found for her, I promise :)

Aww, beautiful! Breaks my heart to hear of the conditions... but I suppose that's the way it is. Sure she's happy living with you at the moment and enjoy it while you can, she looks like an amazing animal! :)

Wrap it around the old leg, under a nice pair of jeans, for the return journey?

nah more like;

Border petrol: What's that around your waist?
Kristy: Thats a snake skin belt.
Border petrol: :rolleyes: ...... are you going to stick with that response?
Kristy: Yes?
Border petrol: Security!
Kristy: :shock:
Jokes aside, it looks great, I hope you find a good home for it! :)

i had 2 albino burms M and F beautiful snakes, mine were both great natured and grew so quickly compared to my Morelia.....awesome!!!

Yeah, donks, I have no idea how old she could be. She's in good nick, but from what I gather, probably not been fed very often... wonder how fast she'll grow? :shock:

I would of thought at that size she would be very young still maybe a 1-1.5 year old? Im very jealous, they are such a great snake. I have only ever had a couple of hours with them but enjoyed every minute of it.

I can't believe how placid she is... just in handling her a bit last night to let her stretch out a bit... perfect manners :)

Someone just told me she might just be a hatchie, and in the space of a couple of months will be the size of my leg :shock:

Can't wait to see my housemate freak out just a bit :)

She isnt very big, thats why i queried age. She will only get a hell of lot bigger incredibly quick on a regular feeding regime.

she looks stunning if thats hatchling size imagine her in two or three more years put our scrubbies and olives to shame. It sucks they have such a bad name too many irresponsible and undereducated owners i say.

Shes beautiful
Not sure i could take her knowing id have to give her up though, id get too attatched!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back