Looking for Fantastic Recipes!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissBree

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I've spent the last couple hours browsing the interwebs for mouth-watering, drool worthy recipes to try and due to my general mistrust of opinions on most web pages, i decided to ask here for your favourite recipes, or even foods, so that i can experience the foods that you love.

Whatever it is, I want to try it!

For dinner I like to do Lamb Back Straps (get from your butcher) and kiwifruit and mint salsa (if you're lucky enough and can get feijoa, the feijoa and mint salsa is better) served with sweet potato (kumara) and buttermilk mash.

Simply brown the back straps in a little oil (usually it's easier to cut them to cubes) then bake for 15 minutes at 175'C (it's really easy if you have a steel handled fry pan that you can just pop straight in the oven).

Boil potatoes and kumara so they can be mashed.

Mash kiwifruit (or feijoa if you're lucky) and add fresh chopped mint (and chilli if you're that way inclined, which I am).

Mash the potatoes and kumara together and add buttermilk to make it smooth and creamy (I'm not a cheese fan, but I bet you are - go on then, add some cheese).

And whammo - best ever dinner in the world!

For desert - TeKnO is going to make us pancakes!

Also found this on YouTube - it's a great effort of cooking a cheesy soufflé - very fast!

[video=youtube_share;74ceC7ERsLc]http://youtu.be/74ceC7ERsLc[/video]

snake stew is nice LOL im joking ( warped sense of humor) umm seriously our fave is spag bog BUT instead of using mince used diced pork ribs and add fresh broccili its YUM :) oh and sorry about the snake stew...notice i LOL'd quite fast :p

BTW - I know you can feijoa's in Brisbane and I have seen them in other parts of Qld - but not sure about ACT sorry... But you'll definitely get kiwifruit tho...

Margaret Fultons Encyclopaedia of Cookery is a fantastic book.
Her Pavlova, custards, tea cakes, cheesecakes etc are all just amazing. I have yet too find anything in that book that isnt great. Granted she is an "old fashioned" cook...so if you're ever looking for comfort foods...swing her way! But i doubt many of her recipes will be online

Although I hate her, Nigella Lawsons brownie recipe is fantastic, certainly the best I've ever had.

Cadburys Continental Chocolate Cake recipe is also a classic in our house, I don't know if that's online either as we have the old book.

Although time consuming, and another person I dislike, I have too say Martha Stewarts butterscotch cake is delicious (that is on her website)

I wouldn't even know what a feijoa looks like :?. Next time i'm at the shops (tomorrow) i'll have a look.

The boyfriends parents and especially grandfather make the BEST spag bog I've ever eaten! I've asked for the recipe but apparently its a family secret :( i know it has brown sugar, tomato sauce and red wine as well as the usual bits but I doubt i will ever get it the same. I will try the pork and broccoli though!

Snake stew huh? I dont think my snake eats stew LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Here's a pic of some feijoas from our trees (I think you can tell the lemons and the apple... Plus my daughter's creative fruit work)

222036_170725286317477_100001400210302_434861_3486880_n.jpg

Comfort foods are my 'thing'. Love them. I will certainly search for those books!

Nigella Lawson *shudders* I dont like her either.

Butterscotch cake, I just swooned.

Anna Olson also has great recipes...I wish i was her haha..I know she's boring, but im in love with her haha

Margaret Fultons pizza sauce and pasta sauces are lovely...they're not the family recipe you want, but theyre lovely and hearty!

My favourite recipe in the world is a lemon and asparagus rissotto, just lovely in winter...

1/2 tsp table salt, for cooking water
2 bunches uncooked asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
width="100%" style="width: 100%"
|-
|-
| id="ucRecipePreparation_rptrIngrediants_tdIngredientsItemRight_2" width="100%" | 2 spray(s) cooking spray
|-
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
width="100%" style="width: 100%"
|-
|-
| id="ucRecipePreparation_rptrIngrediants_tdIngredientsItemRight_3" width="100%" | 3 small uncooked shallot(s), minced
|-
1 cup(s) uncooked arborio rice
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 cup(s) chicken stock
1/3 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add asparagus to pot; blanch for 2 minutes. Immediately remove asparagus from pot and place them into ice water (to stop them from cooking and help retain their bright green color); set aside.

Coat a medium pot with cooking spray and set over medium heat; melt butter. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add rice and toss to coat; cook for 2 minutes. Add lemon juice; cook, until all lemon juice has been absorbed, stirring continuously so rice does not stick to sides of pot, about 1 minute.

Meanwhile, bring stockto a simmer; keep warm.

Add 1/2 cup of hot stock to pot at a time; stir until absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth, making sure each addition of broth is absorbed before adding more. This process takes about 20 minutes.

When rice turns creamy and just done (should be slightly chewy and not mushy), remove pot from heat; add cheese and stir well. Stir in asparagus; season with salt and pepper.

Start with 'nice fish' fillets (reef fish is best) and layer them in an oven-proof dish.
Mix bread crumbs, lots of parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and a small amount of oil. Cover the fish with this mix and then bake in the oven for approx 20 min.
Meanwhile peel a few prawns (4 per person is enough). In a pan, fry chopped garlic and then add prawns, salt and chopped parsley. DON'T OVERCOOK PRAWNS. Add cream and cook for a minute.
Serve the fish with the garlic prawns on top.
Nice to have with a handful of chips on the side.
Make an appointment to have your cholesterol checked.

Note: I also serve these garlic prawns on crumbed steak with avocado which is another nice meal.

Recently I've been making pies and sausage rolls. I use puff pastry for the sausage rolls and shortcrust for the pies.
But the basic ingredients are more or less the same for both. What you need ...
For sausage rolls..... a sheet of frozen puff pastry. 500 gm of sausage mince. Garlic in a tube, Italian herbs in a tube. Milk.

Method. Thaw pastry sheet, takes about 10 minutes. Mix about 1 table spoon each of garlic and Italian herbs with mince. Make a slug of the mixture along the pastry sheet, roll it so both sides of the pasty meets. Brush with a little milk on top so it'll go golden brown when cooked. Cut into desired sections. Cook in oven about 180c for about an hour or until pastry is lovely and brown.

Pie.... chunks of steak, lamb, chicken with maybe bacon bits. Finely diced onion, cube of chicken or beef stock, garlic and Italian herbs as with sausage rolls. About 200 mil of water mixed with about 3/4 cup of plain flour. One or two sheets of shortcrust pastry.

Method. Thaw pastry...if you want pastry on the bottom of the pie, put one layer on the bottom of the dish, if not, just put the meat in the dish. mix the meats...any meat you like really, I like to use cubes of beef, but it can be done with lamb or chicken, and it's nice to mix some bacon bits in too. Mix in diced onion (optional) I also mix in frozen diced mixed vegies. Mix it all up in the baking dish with the garlic and herbs. Pour the water and plain flour mix over the stuff in the dish. With the pastry, place it over the meat etc, make some nice little designs, :) leaves or something so that there are holes in the top for the steam to get out of the pie. Brush the pastry with milk to get a golden brown finish. Bake in oven on about 180c for an hour or until it looks golden. We love it. I got the idea from something I saw Jamie Oliver do on tv a few weeks ago and then just added my own touch to it. With the flour and water, you can make it as thick or thin as you like, but best not too thick.... more like a pancake batter is best, just runny. Enjoy. :)

PS.... If you have a large pie dish and need extra pastry, to make them stick together, just brush milk on them and they'll stick...no worries. :) Use your imagination...have fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back