Looks can be VERY decieving :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
I took my bub Coastal out to the mice cages just to see if he would strike at them...I had some baby mice that were half grown, and the mother in a cage, and I opened the top and let him look around for a bit. Not really interested...A cornered a bub mouse and he watched it for a bit, but didnt strike. I noticed that the food container was empty so put my other hand in there to retrieve it and BAMMO! My buby snake (60cm or so) Had striked at the female mouse and had brought her up in the air and starting constricting her! I was so frightened that the female might hurt the snake in her struggle to escape and it was damn hard trying to un pry her from his jaws. I guess looks can be decieving :)

Ummm why would you want to take a snake into a rodent room and open the cages to see what it would do?

I dont have a rodent room. Just 2 mice cages. I took him to the cages to see how willingly he would take live food because he would not take pre-killed. I was also going to let him eat the mouse he striked at but he wasnt interested in the babies, only the adult.

You let your snake into a mouse breeding box :shock: My mice would kill my snake within seconds there so protective of theres pups. Yeah snakes will attack large food items, they cant necessarily eat them but its in there nature to attack decent food if its present. Also, my snake, an 18 mnth jungle, wont attack anything smaller than a weaner anymore. I put a live fuzzy (it fell 2 metres when I was cleaning its cage) in with her and she just stiffed it, never attacked. When I through in a thawed adult, she went at it in a second. Shell even attack medium sized thawed rats, though she cant eat them yet.

my coastal about the age of ya jungle eats about 6 week old rats no troubles

y didnt you let the snake eat the mum mouse and then feed the babies to lizards

My point was that the rodent room whether it be a single cage or hundreds is ALWAYS a seperate room from the Herp room,and for good reason.Taking your snake into the rodent room would put the snake in a state of frenzy due to the scent of food items.Allowing the snake to enter a breeder box was just plain silly however.Here is some risk's you just put your snake through:

1. Luckily the mice didn't defend the territory and attack the snake.Allowing it to prey on live food in such a small area with several rodents is just crazy...

2. Trying to remove a rodent from the mouth of the snake is a sure fire way of creating harm to both the snake and yourself (broken teeth,rodent bites etc)...

3. You were handling the snake at the time,I hope it don't now associate handling outside its own room with live feeding (for your sake anyway lol)...

4. You have just risked infections to your snake...

This happened about a week ago Mystic...There were 3 babies ( neraly adult size) And A mother..It is a very large cage and I knew where each of the 4 rodents were. Like I said....I only did it to see how willingy the snake would take live food as he would not eat pre-killed. The only reason I stopped the snake was because it was too large for him too eat and would've been a waste.

Dont take offence.
I was merely advising you on the side effects of your exercise.I am sure after reading this post you wont make the same mistake again.It would have been safer & wiser to place 1 of the babies into the snakes enclosure...

Well Simon...I have found a care sheet and I am now familiar with the animals needs and have everything I need for it. So thankyou very much for jumping to conclusions, and next time if your going to pick a bone at me, do it through a PM.

Can you post the link for the caresheet please Belinda.
I have read a few but would like some more opinions on the species as many times you will find contradicting info...

couriousity killed the snake. is that how it goes?
well i understand the method to your madness. no harm was done so its all cool hey!? 8)

Simon Belinda have a point there. Do you know how to use PM? I will not edit your message, but it is always friendly way to express your opinion my friend. I remember that I made much mor serious mistakes in process of learning and I would be happier not to be preachtd in forum like that. I would prefere PM.
Main think is that this type of GO on you just start fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back