Lost my dog today, possibly snake bite. Questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'd like to apologise in advance if this is written poorly. I'm beyond devastated.

Today I got a call from my mum saying that Spud, my dog, had died. Apparently he had been "sick" and my grandmother was trying to nurse him, but when he didn't improve my grandmother and grandfather took him to the vet but didn't get there in time before he passed away.

The reason my grandmother didn't take him straight away is because she thought the dog was having an epileptic fit, which his mother suffered from, and his sister currently suffers from.

I feel so horrible right now. The last time I was up there, I didn't spend much time at home, and when I was leaving I popped in and gave him a pat. I apologised for not walking him on my trip and promised him I'd give him a walk when I saw him next, but I didn't get the chance.

He was such a loving and caring dog, and he was a tough little bugger, too. Last year I sold my commodore to get him some dental work done, so I guess the last 12 months of his life were more comfortable, that's good I guess. It's still surreal and I've been distraught all day. He was only 10, his mum was 16 and he was in great health, so I am so upset... I took solace in the fact that his mother had a great LONG life and died peacefully, but it's tearing me up thinking about spud.

He had so much character and I have a few stories about him that I might post later on if anyone cares, I even was there for his birth. Sorry for the long post and the questions mixed in with the other stuff, I just want to know what happened to my little dude.

Here's a pic of him and I last year, it's a photo of a photo so it's not great. It was before I got his mouth fixed up, so he wasn't feeling too well and doesn't look too happy, but he was the happiest dog out.

ad264787.jpg

R.I.P Spud, I love you so much mate. I'd do anything to have you back. :cry:

Last edited:
so sorry to hear mate! Keep your spirits up mate you have lots of support on here.

Sorry to hear mate. It's always so hard when a pet dies. Not to sure what could have caused it. All the best mate. Rip spud.

If it was a tick it would be more like he was progresively paralysed from the back legs forwards, they become lethargic, etc. Is it possible that if he was fitting he may have bitten his tongue and severely bruised it.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your little friend today, we nearly lost our kelpie last year to a suspected snake bite and it's a horrible feeling :(

So sorry cobber. It's never good losing a friend. Cant help with diagnostics but I feel your pain, goodonya for doing what you did. I dont doubt Spud loved you for it. RIP Spud.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

If it was a tick it would be more like he was progresively paralysed from the back legs forwards, they become lethargic, etc. Is it possible that if he was fitting he may have bitten his tongue and severely bruised it.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your little friend today, we nearly lost our kelpie last year to a suspected snake bite and it's a horrible feeling :(

Thanks mate. I've been through the paralysis tick ordeal with a mates dog, but I got her to the vet in time. I just didn't know why his tongue could have been black.

I don't suppose he could have gotten into rat bait somehow? I';m just thinking along the lines of internal bleeding, etc bossibly being the cause of his tongue going very dark.

Nah mate, doubt it. I guess the neighbours could have chucked a bait in there, but it's a semi-rural property, they would have to go to a fair bit of trouble to do it. I'd hate to think someone poisoned him, anyway.

Actually in hind site given he's a little dog it could be a snake bite, some snake bites(browns for example) can cause tissue to die of and go black (necrosis) so if he was bitten in the mouth while trying to snap at the snake that would do it.

No matter what the cause it's a very sad thin g for you, I hope your mum and nan are coping OK :(

I just thought he would go quicker if it was a snake. Maybe this thread was a stupid idea, knowing what he went through won't bring him back. I'm in a weird state at the moment...

Yeah my mums upset and so is my grandmother, pretty horrible. Thanks for your help mate... The house is half an hour at least from any vet, so if it was a snake there's not much of a chance for the poor little guy. **** I'm a mess. I can't explain how upset I am.

Oh thats so horrible :( Im so sorry
It must be hard not being there also.. poor lil guy

I cant help with your question, but did your grandparents still take him to the vet after he passed? Maybe the vet can help..

So sorry, thats is so sad. My friends cocker spaniel got bitten by a snake and yeah, it took about 45 minutes and they were an 1 hour or so away from the vet. I know how your feeling and how bad it is not nowing what happened, my oldest dog died mysteriously last year, we just went to feed him and he was dead, so devastating. There are no words for these times except to say take care and try and keep busy, thinking is the worst thing.

Snake bites stop the dog from being able to clot its blood. this will not usually cause their tongues to go black though. i would say your dog was dyspnoeic (difficulty breathing) and became cyanotic making his tongue and gums go a dark purple colour. Have a look around in the yard and you may find a dead snake. but snakes are one of those things that dogs might have a quick vomit and be normal for a while and then drop and pass as soon as the body cant maintain itself.

im sorry for your loss dude. its nasty when your not there to do anything. remember the good things

I like this pic because of the twinkle in his eyes.

031-1.jpg

He was a great dog

033-1.jpg

Haha, this is after his operation last year. I spent over 2k at the vets on him and his sister, he's pretty drugged up in this picture. I wish I had more, I'll have to look through my computer.

183-1.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Gorgeous dog :)
Its great you have alot of pictures and memories to remember him

Helikaon, thanks mate. Not much of a chance of finding a dead snake, though. He only had 6 teeth, hahaha.

well you might find a slimey gummed up snake.

I can't really afford one, I would have paid the vet bills if he was alive, but I can't afford it just to get an answer. I wish I could.

From now on if it's OK I don't really want to hear anything else about what may have happened to him. Fuscus is right. Thanks for the help everyone.

Well I guess it's a case of too little, too late... But I have found a pet friendly place in a resort/gated community on the gold coast for similar money to what we are paying here. Going to check it out now and if it all checks out, the plan will be to get Spuds sister down with me, along with Milly, our Fox terrier. That way Kelly (the big border collie) can spend more time inside at home and hopefully it won't happen again. Kelly and queenie can't be around each other, because they fight.

I'm still too upset to convey it with words, I keep wishing I'll wake up and realise it was a dream.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back