Mac or PC?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Techie person (currently working on a multimedia degree with advanced honors)
Macs are fine if you have no idea about computers because you cannot change any major specs inside unfortunately for this unique (not so unique its only unix which you can get with ubuntuu installed on windows via a partition) OS you pay about twice as much then you would pay for a windows computer with the same specs
i.e I just build a new computer 2 months ago i wont go into the details on it but it cost me 2grand with about 600 in reductions because I know the guy who works at the pc store i go to. now if i spent 2grand on a mac which will get you pretty much the lowest rage in the macs i dont think you can even get a tower for 2grand.
I also dont like Macs because anything a mac can do a windows computer can do better, yes the risk of viruses malware and spyware are alot more common but if you're not stupid and get a decent AV(i.e not norton) Steam(for those gamers) seems to be trying to rid macs of the no game problem but they can hardly play games windows got over 4 years ago.

To jannico for linux its great, I'm using ubuntu as i type this on my 2nd tower to compile some code ive been writing but i wouldn't suggest it to the 'average' user because it requires a little bit of learning and well its not as flashy as the other options

but hay if you're a conformist who must have the newest apple product then go for the mac, you're not getting your monies worth.

And it's easier to write in objective C on a pc :p

Agreed.
But like i said if you have no idea about computers you would like macs better:)

I dont like the way the market them. Using "I" to give the notion that apple cares for each and individual buyer and that each mac/ipod/ipad/iphone is unique to the user.

honestly only an idiot would choose pc
I sincerely disagree, considering most applications on mac are now morphs coming from windows (yes windows uses mac ones aswell but in comparison the numbers are completely in the windows favour) I have 3 Towers and 2 laptops (1 mac and 1 windows) i use my mac which is just over a year old as a portable (lol yeah very portable) harddrive in most cases and my Windows laptop which is now ubuntu only is 4 years old and even the specs on that are better then a year old mac

mac at work, PC craptop for train useage and home.
Macs are waaaaaaaaaaay better,....!!

I guess everyone has personal issues but i base mine on facts not whether its pretty.

What facts are referring to? Personal use? whats the specs on your 4 old laptop vs the mac you have?? Maybe you shouldn't have bought the cheapest mac there is....

I just built a Gigabyte i7 Hackintosh for $800 (being in the industry has it's perks!) Though if I had the cash I would have bought a Mac Pro in a heart beat. I also run 2 servers (web + media) with windows 7 and they are plagued with problems... I see more macs in my future... Bottom line.. they work!

I bought a 17inch macbook pro so pretty much one of the best laptops mac offers. And of course who runs web and media servers on windows.. run them on linux. And when you say you built a gigabyte i7.. you built a motherboard?
The facts are, what ive stated. My gaming rig is better then any mac on the market, and i can do everything else its not just gaming only.. and mac is just a shiny linux anything a mac can do a linux and windows computer of equivalent value can do better. Personally i prefer linux so im not a pc fanboy. oh and running a webserver or media server on mac would be plain silly, if your going to use a unix based OS then everyone will pic a linux.

At the risk of appearing an idiot in pando26's eyes - PC ticks all my boxes.
Also 1 vote for Android over iOS :)

I'm not a fan of Macs at all.
Apple and their proprietary system... all the iproducts - no way.
I prefer my PC - home build, I know what's in there, I know how it's ticking, and if it's not, I know why and where. I never settled for anything prebuilt. I always get the parts and assemble myself - the only way to be sure to get what you want.
I know Windows is not the best OS, there are better ones - but I know it inside out, and with Win7, MS made a step in the right direction, same as WinXP.
Call me a MS fanboy, but I even gave Linux a shot. But when the standard installation over 3 CDs failed, and I had to ask my friend to help me finish it, watching him typing about 20 lines of commands just to get the installation done, I figured this isn't as userfriendly as I'd like my OS to be.
But if someone would ask me for an alternative to Windows, I'd still recommend Linux.

crappy debate..... It comes down to how capable the user is IMO

Oh well some people just decide they love a certain one and all others suck because theirs is super shiny. Macs are great computers, but they aren't worth the cost you dont get what you pay for and personally i really dislike that. if you could build your own towers with a mac I'd probably use one more often. Either way, Linux is my favorite <3

linux is good but its not point click user friendly like windows is, i couldnt find out how to install my vid card drivers, but at least the internet worked straight away and videos played no problem it just auto searched for the codec and played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back