Mad BHP's bred....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indicus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
A friend of a friend, bred these stunning Bhp's;
and would like to know others opinons; on what sort
of trait this animal may have.....
We dont think it's albino; however it's something odd to say
the least....
If you think you may have some idea?, please share.
Thanks kindly inadvance..... :wink:

the light one looks to be hypomelainistic, the others look normal.

Yes but how do you get hypomelanistic and keep the jet black head ? It looks amelanistic but with a black head which is an obvious contradiction. Very nice whatever it is.

That would make two hypo's that hatched Rob; good call....
Crazy looking snakes..... :?

Boa, quite easy,- hypos are only reduced melain and the body would normaly be the first part to show this trait, with selective breeding they may well be able to reduce the amount melain on the head in years to come, and maybe not, just depends on what the genitic falt is effecting in the animals.

Also there is melain in the bands unlike a amelainistic snake, just very very reduced. By the look of the pics.
Indicus,- so 2 came out like that ah, heres hoping they are a pair.

Very nice.

Sorry; yes two hatched out like that; i believe thats a different one in each picture.

Indicus,

Good looking BHP hatchling mate, there is quite a few that have been hatched this year and last that look very simlar to the hatchling that you have posted. Are either of the parents that were used to produces this hatchling light in colour?

Regrads tim

Tim, i'd have to double cheak;
but if i remember correctly; both parents are just average animals.

Very nice, so they came from different clutches, did they share a father?

Thanks yes I know what hypo means, I get a sore throat telling people hypo does NOT mean no black. I just can't work out why the neck and head look normal but their is virtually no black in the body. I have seen others that have had very very light heads as well as the much reduced black in the banding.

TrueBlue said:
Boa, quite easy,- hypos are only reduced melain and the body would normaly be the first part to show this trait, with selective breeding they may well be able to reduce the amount melain on the head in years to come, and maybe not, just depends on what the genitic falt is effecting in the animals.

Indicus,

Have a good look at there heads out in the sun and see if there is a lot of brown were it is meant to be black.
The one I have here that is simlar all so has no balck except for the head but its head has a lot of brown were it should be black. The adult female that we used here all so has no black except for her head and she has paper white blotching on stomach. There is going to be some very diffrent BHP's out there very soon I reckon.

Re Tim

Wow - arent they stunning!
Congrats to your mate Indicus - He is a lucky man! Give him my ph no if he wants to sell them! lol
Cheers
Ad

Thanks Tim, i'll see what i can find out...
Pike; the two hypo? juv's were the result from two sisters;
bred with a unrelated male, one juv from each girl....
thanks everyone for your thoughts....

boa,- inbreeding for up to 3 generations will not harm your animals at all, this has been proven many times in captivity and I dare say in the wild, with a number of invasions of exotic animals in different countries where inbreeding would of been imense. ie brown tree snakes in gaum and hawai to name 2.

I think you missed the smiley after my comment. I was referring to the opinions of some on here, a certain very famous American python breeder has shown 7 or even 8 generations showed absolutely no problems. No need to convince me, it's the only sure fire way to achieve the traits we all crave. :D

TrueBlue said:
boa,- inbreeding for up to 3 generations will not harm your animals at all, this has been proven many times in captivity and I dare say in the wild, with a number of invasions of exotic animals in different countries where inbreeding would of been imense. ie brown tree snakes in gaum and hawai to name 2.

Cane toads in Australia? All bred from 10 animals or something.
Nice BHP by the way.
It seems almost like the genetic basis for the black head is diferent for that of the black stripes, however those true albino BHP's had no black at all, so I guess it's not that.

Was it just 10 animals ? Yes I think the rules for reptiles and amphibians are totally different than for warm blooded animals as far as inbreeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back