Man eaten by Croc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCHERPS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A 22-year-old man has been killed by a saltwater crocodile in a Northern Territory river.

The man's two friends have told police the four-metre croc dragged their friend Brett Mann under the Finniss River at 5pm (CST) on Sunday.

The trio had been trail bike riding in the area, about 80km from Darwin, and Mr Mann had waded into the river to clean his trail bike, while his two 19-year-old mates were washing down their bikes on the river bank.

Mr Mann was taken by the crocodile as his horrified and helpless mates watched on, Darwin police sergeant Erica Sims said.

The younger men swam into the river in a desperate bid to help their mate.

But they quickly scrambled up a tree in the middle of the river as the croc - with Mr Mann's remains in its jaws - moved towards them.

The two 19-year-olds stayed in the tree for 22 hours as the croc "stalked" them, Sgt Sims said.

At home, and worried the trio had not returned from their trip by 7pm, one of the men's girlfriends alerted police the party was overdue.

Officers went to the area and found the vehicle in which the men had taken the trail bikes to the bush.

Soon after, they found the terrified men clinging to the tree.

A rescue helicopter plucked the men from the tree on Monday afternoon, and they were taken to Royal Darwin Hospital where they were treated for shock and hypothermia, Sgt Sims said.

Police and marine and fisheries officers would start searching for the crocodile, and Mr Mann's body, on Tuesday morning.

Mr Mann was from Howard Springs, about 40 km south of Darwin. Mr Mann was from Howard Springs, about 40 km south of Darwin.

This article was found on the 'NINE MSN 'website homepage.

and theyre usually all in the northern territory where some1 was stupid enough to go into infested waters

Humans tend to hunt down and kill animals that kill humans so it is fairly likely that the croc will be shot.
There are rules that need to be obeyed when you are in croc country, much like you need to obey rules on the highway. It appears that this guy didn't obey the rules.
It is also the start of the wet. This means that the crocs are starting to breed and are very agro. Also smaller males will have been driven out of larger male terratories meaning that areas that were croc free a couple of months ago may not be croc free now. But the attacker is supossed to be 4 meters, this impiles an adult male with an established terratory.

Hey Fuscus,
You know, the account was from two of the mans s**t scared friends, so I reckon you might be able to take a metre of off the real size, but who knows, they might be right.

As you say, it's all wrong that the Croc should be shot because the man entered the croc's territory, but man always desires some retaliation for the death of another fellow man!

Neil

Sad story, he had family somewhere. horrible way to go imo. people will do stupid things though, thats nature of em. I remember a woman who got inside a fence at a zoo and was attacked by a polar bear i think. maybe this guy will get a Darwin award.

Exactly Neil. For a group of I am assuming locals, you would think they would definatley be a lot more clued up that where they were hanging around was just plain dumb.
Makes you wonder what countyside they were actually in that they were not able to get out of the tree for 22 hours. Who said crocs aren't patient :lol:

my beardies deffinantely aint patient today they ate about 300 roaches all sizes between the 3 of em the others gust sat there doing nutting

Trying to convince my hatchling beardies that eating is a pleasure and a neccessity not reserved for just two and that everyone needs to dig in. :D

one of these beardies i got off my cousin cause he couldnt get it to feed now ive got it it is starting to get as fat as hell instead of just a bag of skin

up here crocs are in the paper every second day, for either attacting someone or being seen walking on the highway or somthing. nothing unusual though...

I dont feel a scrap of sympathy for the man who got taken. He went into croc territory and was foolish enough to stay there! Why was it that two of his friends were smart enough to stay on the shore yet he ventured into the water. Seems to me like someone wanted to show off he wasn't afraid of no territorial croc at the start of the wet and breeding season when they get all agro and what not. Ego! I'm sure he is kicking himself now. I do feel sorry for his girlfriend and family and for his two mates who are obviously in a state of shock. But other than that, it was his fault and I dont see why they should shoot the croc. It was doing what came natural, either defending it's territory from possible competition or grabbing a bite to eat.

As Fuscus said, there are rules you should follow, the first being DONT GO INTO CROC TERRITORY! or one has to, respect the fact that you are in someone elses backyard and that you are indeed trespassing. Sorry, I get really annoyed when crap like this happens!

Should we also suggest that snake bite victims deserve to die because they were foolish enough to handle Elapids?

everyone swims in the rivers, streams, ocean etc up here... we all know that their are crocs in the water... me personally wouldn't go swimming in a croc infested creek like adelaid river, but i feel quite safe going into the ocean, their is crocs out their but still everyone feels free to swim. but i do agree with everyone on this if we get taken its out own fault

A) I am not saying that he deserved to die, simply that it was his fault he got taken and that he has to take the responsibility for his actions.

B) If that victim had gone out into the wild and foolishly handled an Elapid when they didn't know anything about what they were doing then again, I say it was their fault and all the Elapid was doing was protecting it's self. NOTE: I am not saying that person deserves to die.

C) I dont say that anybody deserves to die. But dieing is a fact of life and if you put yourself in a situation where that could be one of the consequences, so be it. It is a consequence you accept by being in that situation.

D) I know I seem cruel and cold hearted but that is the way I feel, it is my own opinion and you dont have to like it.

People die of car accidents every year.
We are all aware of the risks on the road (just watch the evening news).IS it safe to assume that victims of car accidents should be shown no sympathy because they should know better than to get on a road where accidents occur frequently?

All I am saying is regardless of the reasons behind the guy getting into the water,he was a young 22 yr old with a life ahead of him.He is now missed by friends and family.True I agree the croc is not at fault,but everything we do in life is a risk in 1 way or another,he took a risk and suffered the consequences...

PS
I have no sympathy for him either lol
But I am in disagreement with the majority :p :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back