Mealworms For Dinner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solitarydiver

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Funny how so many people have conflicting ideas I was told the EWDs would llllooooovvvvveeeee Mealworms For Dinner....That person was right they go off on em....... Then I was told they were no good for the littlens Why would that be? :? Also it is a bit of a worry they won't eat any greens Tried peas broccoli lettuce corn apples strawberries Etc?????? Any help here would be Great THANX

Mealworms

Hi solitarydiver

I was told by a few people now - not sure whether its true, not to give mealworms to new hatchlings & young as they can chew through the animals stomach or gut.

If anyone can clarrify this it would be great - because there seems to be some conflicting information about this.

Maggots are ok - but there are strict procedures which need to be followed inregards to cleaning them.

Ari

ari said:
was told by a few people now - not sure whether its true, not to give mealworms to new hatchlings & young as they can chew through the animals stomach or gut.

I have heard this also - but unsure if it is really possible - just crush its head first as I am pretty sure that a dead meal worm would be unable to eat its way out. :wink:

i don't know what beardies are like, but i used to feed my storrs MWs and there wasn't anything to chew with... (the mons ripped them to sheds) same with my blueys (crushed on entry...)

Sd I think the issue is the they are not to be used as a staple or main food source for you lizards. It is said that they provide minimal nutrient value for your pet. They are Ok as treats or in conjunction with something else.

well, the problem imo, is that lizards dont chew to much when they are hungry and tend to just swollow, with the MW they are hard to kill, eg squash there bodies and they still move and stuff. when i got my first baby beardie one died, when i got home to find it dead there was a hole in the side of the lizard with slimmy MW i dont know if they ate after he died but it didnt look like it. anyway that was proof enough not to give them to young. adults is alright but i still make sure that i squosh there heads first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back