?Measuring a python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

playwell

Reaction score
:shock: How do I go about getting an accurate measurement (lenght) of my wriggly Carpet Python or any snake on that matter?

I have only have a guesstimate by putting my measuring tape next to the snake as it crawls along the skirting.

I know it's not he most interesting question to ask, but I am curious. :roll:

To explain. Run a piece of string the top of your snakes head to its tail. Then measure the piece of string.

I did try this, it is not easy either. Little bugger will not still while I try to measure.

Yeah.. tis hard.. if you follow the spine it doesnt matter how much it squirms, as long as you keep the string pinned to it while it's moving lol. Only works with fairly placid snakes easily.

Here's what i do....wait til it sheds and measure the skin. Just try not to stretch it too far... then it becomes like asking your best mate how long his old fella is ;)

And a piece of string along it's back is? I've only been keeping for 6months but handle everyday (except after feeding) and it's almost impossible to keep my diamond still at the best of times let alone straightish.
Another idea... this could cause a s@t fight... but go to the hardware store and buy a length of clear tube that is roughly the same gauge as your snake so it can't turn around inside. if you're worried about air, just poke a couple of holes in it. While the snake's not in there of course.

Re: RE: ?Measuring a python?

JET said:
And a piece of string along it's back is? I've only been keeping for 6months but handle everyday (except after feeding) and it's almost impossible to keep my diamond still at the best of times let alone straightish.

Yeah, those yearling Diamonds can be a real handful. Try measuring my baby Nelly.

As the shed does not come off the top of the scale alone, but also comes off the base of the scale you can NEVER use the skin to measure any snake. The shed is always at least one third longer.

There are two good techniques that can be used.

The string has been mentioned and is fairly easy to do even if the snake is moving. Simply start at the head holding the end of the string in place. With the other hand move the string along the spine a little at a time. Just keep pinning the string to the body as a contact point as you go.

The second is to place the snake on the floor along a long wall. Pick a marked starting point like the end of the wall, place the snakes head there and start. Just push and staighten the snake hard up against the wall and floor, and measure a little at a time. With one hand, just like the string, keep the snake still at each small section and just work your way along the snake. Mark the end and measure the total length.

To follow up on Big Guy's method we let out snakes run along the bottom of our Kitchen cupboards where there is an over hang (and shadow). Often they will just stretch out on their own and you can make a mental note of where the head and the tail were at a particular instant in time and take the tape measure to it later.

RE: Re: RE: ?Measuring a python?

i tail em, put them up against a weall, pencil it off, just like a kids hight charts, then measure from the floor.
if you do it quick, as soon as you've tailed, then will be straight down and you can get a pretty acurate measurement......

But then again, im just an amatur, so it's just a suggestion, not great advice :)
Angel

RE: Re: RE: ?Measuring a python?

Nice Anaconda Greebo lol
how old is (baby) Nelly ?

That's actually quite funny you mention that Daavid because I used to get mine to stretch out in front of the window paneand she used to go as straight as an arrow :lol: Trouble is now she's bigger than the window I was measuring her up against :lol: Looks like the next stop will be the kitchen joinery :wink: I might give the string method a shot also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back