Melamine Shelf in tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to install a melamine shelf in a tank.

I am looking at putting one in but only have two touching edges for it as I only want it half the size of tank

Knowing how weak it can be just looking for previous ideas that have worked.

Currently thinking of mounting a strip the full length of the shelf and then screwing that it to position

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A few triangle brackets should hold it just fine. Just make sure you size them right.

Giving sizes might help :) Depending on the area of your shelf, the thickness of your board and the weight of the reptile (python?) that will be laying on it will determine how much support you need to provide.

I'm doing the same thing in mine and will be mounting a rail full length and screwing from behind - it's a stained tv unit and I'm trying to keep it all the same nondescript stain colour - but with solid timber rather than melamine. Makes a bit of a difference :)

You can also support the suspended corner with rope/chain to the roof of the enclosure. Add some fake vine and it looks great, I've seen it done before.

I just have them screwed in with two screws each side. Haven't had one fail on me yet and a couple have 8kg olives sitting on them.

I have done this in all my cages as I use proherp panels. I screw a length of timber into the cage running under each attached side and then get a length of timber to sit under the suspended corner down to the bottom of the cage. I screw this into the bottom of the cage and into the suspended corner of the platform. Been sat on for many years with many heavy snakes without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back